Search for content in message boards

Family COUNSEL

Family COUNSEL

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for help or suggestions on the family COUNSEL (or alt. spelling). I found 2 families in the Griffith Valuation book, under Counsel. There was a family from Ballinteer and 1 family from Stormanstown. I have no idea if either of these are the correct family. My actual research is for Mary Counsel born in Ireland about 1831. She married William Johnson, born in England, but have no idea where or when. They both immigrated to Canada, no dates on this either. Any hints or suggestions would be helpful. My goal is to find Mary Counsel’s birth place. Can anyone lend a hand?

Re: Family COUNSEL

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 5:58AM GMT
City of Dublin records on www.irishgenealogy.ie

South Dublin and North Dublin have their own genealogy
offices but both belong to an Irish History Foundation
that has parish record.

I only found 1 counsel in Dublin County Griffith Valuation 1849:

Peter counsel, Parish of Taney, Townland of Ballinteer
Poor Law Union Dublin S. tenant of Mrs. Townsend

# 9b a house

There was also a County Louth,
Bartley Counsel Parish Clonkeen, Townland of Stormastown
also
3 County Wicklow Counsel's. John, Anne and a George

One thing that Irish families did was carry family names down through the generations, so look at her children's names for clues.

Mary probably married about age 20 so about 1851+

If they were Protesant there are marriage records from 1845-1862 (no matches for the surname Counsel) or if married in England try www.freebmd.org.uk or if in Canada: Collections Canada

For Canadian passenger records you could try
www.theshipslist.com

Parish records are available on line for County Dublin South, Lough and Wicklow on a not for profit but fee paying Irish History Foundation. You just need name and a year and you have both. A birth record would have her mother's name, father's name and mother maiden name, place/parish and full date. You don't even need a county.

Annette Code

Re: Family COUNSEL

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 12:18PM GMT
Thank you Annette. I will try all these things. I have very little information to go on. It has taken me many years to get what I have found. I appreciate all the help.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions