Search for content in message boards

Question on naming of women

Question on naming of women

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Sorry if this question seems ridiculous, but I was hoping someone could tell me about the last name of women--both before and after marriage. For instance, if their father's name in Janicek, are they "Janickova" before marriage? And if they marry a man named Kurivial, are they "Kurivialova" after marriage? The use of the "-ova" is confusing to me, so I hope someone can easily and clearly set me straight.
Thank you, and Happy Easter.

Re: Question on naming of women

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 3:48PM GMT
That is very much NOT a ridiculous question!

I didn't realize that at all until I found my grandmother's 2nd return trip years ago to the US and she was listed with the -ova ending. Never came up when talking with my Mom about the language.

Short answer to it: yes.

Here's a some useful reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_name#Female_surnames

Also - see page 12 on this reference PDF:
https://www.fbiic.gov/public/2008/nov/Naming_practice_guide_...

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 9:50PM GMT
Thank you; you are very kind. The Wikipedia answer you referenced made me realize even how much more complicated it was than my question! I have seen surnames for women both ways in the Ellis Island records, and was sure that this was the case, but I know with my research that I need to be familiar with all of the possible nuances of the language (like the "e" being removed before adding the "-ova", but not an "a"!), so, again, I thank you for your reply AND the excellent references.

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 9:36PM GMT
You can carry this idea a little further. If the surname is an adjective (Like Novotny), then the female version is Novatna. If the male surname ends in "ek", like Sramek, then the "e" drops out, and the ova gets added, as you said. Sramkova. Then there's the German version. Svoboda becomes Svobodin in the feminine. This seems to be true for earlier records, at least. I have no idea what the Czech version of feminine Svoboda would be. Svobodova?

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 1:18PM GMT
To Mary's answer I add.
Suname with y in the end, for example Novy = male - Nova = female. Stary - Stara, Holy - Hola and s.o.
In old records are in German used "-in" in end: Novak - Novakin, Novy - Novin Holy - Holin.
In old records in Latin are often used "-iana" in end of female's surname: Novak - Novakiana, Novy - Noviana.

All the best.
Tony.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions