Search for content in message boards

photo request

photo request

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 4:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Is there anyone in Dublin who can take a photo of 49 Fitzwilliam Square (also known as 4 West)? I would love to have a photo of it for a Christmas gift for someone who's ancestor resided at that address at one time.

Thanks!
Kathy In Illinois

Re: photo request

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 2:13PM GMT

the photo of it on google maps looks good.
linkhttp://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=49+fitzwilliam+square...

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 11:53AM GMT
Google Maps is a bit misleading. As far as I know there is only one No. 49 on Fitzwilliam Square, the one on the West side (with the white door in Google Streetview). The numbering in the Square goes from No. 1 on Fitzwilliam Sq. East, through Fitzwilliam Sq. South and West to No. 69 in Fitzwilliam Sq. North.

Brian

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 12:55PM GMT
The info that I have is that it is NOW 49. It was known as "4 West" before 1862. I put both addresses so that in case my research was wrong, someone would know what I'm talking about (hopefully). I am not real sure I trust Google Maps, because I've found errors with their photos before. And since I've never been there, I was hoping there might be someone local who would be sure they have the right address.

Thanks
Kathy

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 1:45PM GMT
The building in the centre of this view on Google Street view is no. 49 - see : https://www.google.ie/maps?q=Fitzwilliam+Square,+Dublin&...

(white door as mentioned above. You can see number 50 to the right)

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 9:09PM GMT
Hi Kathy
I reckon that is the correct house. it (No. 49) is the 4th house from the end of Fitzwilliam Sq West which might account for it initially being called 4 West. I understand the four sides of the Square were built over a period of about 25 years (N, W, E, then S) so presumably the current numbering didn't come into use until after all 4 sides were completed. If you have the family name I can check Dublin Street Directories c. 1860 next week.
Brian

Ellis Family

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Ellis
Brian, You wouldn't be or know of a Henry Ellis born 1810 Ireland. Married a Julia (no Maiden) came to U S in 1850 and settled in Kirkwood New York. buried in St Patricks Cemetery, Johnson City N Y. with Julia and a Mary Madden. Really exhausted my means of finding family in Ireland. When I see the Ellis name I have to ask. Donna Ellis

Re: Ellis Family

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 8:36AM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2012 2:49PM GMT
It seems the numbers for the square where combined sometime between 1852 and 1862. Earlier directory listings (i.e. 1834 to 1852) show Fitzwilliam Sq. East with numbers 1 to 17, North with 1 to 17, South with 1 to 18, and West with 1 to 17.

The first listing I've seen so far with the combined numbers is 1862 - which has numbers 1 to 17 assigned to the East side of the square, 18 to 35 to the south, 36 to 52 to the west, and 53 to 69 to the North. This is the system still in use.

some details for that address :

1834 - 4 West, Lady Frankfort
1840 - 4 West, Lady Frankfort
1850 - 4 West, Lady Frankfort
1852 - 4 West, Lady Frankfort
1862 - 49, Capt. Henry De Montmorency
1868 - 49, Capt. Henry De Montmorency

I can check for other listings if that's of any interest...

S.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 10:42AM GMT
Surnames: Ellis
Hi Donna
Sorry, no connection with Henry Ellis as far as I know. I've only traced my Ellis line to my great-grandfather, William Stuart Ellis, a school teacher in Co. Tipperary. He was born c.1830, son of Robert Ellis, a farmer. My earliest record of William Stuart Ellis is his marriage in Co. Laois in 1851. I don't know where he was born as he died in 1887 (i.e. before 1901 Census). Henry doesn't seem to have been a family name among his descendants (William, Robert, Charles, Stuart, Thomas,George)

Brian Ellis

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 12:52PM GMT
Thank you for checking. I have learned that they were re-numbered about 1862. And this is the family I'm researching. also believe that Henry is the same person and "Harvey" but I don't have the proof yet. There is a will I need to send for from Ireland (need to take the time to sit down and do it) , as well as some land records (the land records cost a little more than I can spend on them right now).

I appreciate your help!
Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic