Search for content in message boards

Aaron Davis family.

Aaron Davis family.

Posted: 15 Feb 2001 11:09AM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2005 11:26PM GMT
My great-great-grandfather was Joseph Morrison Davis, born in Stork Co., OH. His father was Aaron P. Davis born in 1799 in Wales. I am trying to find more information on Aaron. He is supposed to have died in Portsmouth, Ohio. I have quite a bit on Aaron's children, but very little on Aaron himself.

Aaron Davis

B Carr (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2001 9:35PM GMT
Hi Carroll,
Do you know if Aaron Davis had a son or nephew by the name of Charles Davis born in 1830 in TN? Thanks B Carr

Aaron Davis' children

Posted: 17 Feb 2001 9:59AM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2005 11:26PM GMT
Aaron had 8 children. They were Thomas G. Davis,born 12/13/1818; Jemima Davis, born abt 1826; Aaron G. Davis, born 1829; Joseph Morrison Davis, born 9/14/1833; James A. Davis, born 1835; Marie Davis, born 1839, Elizabeth A. Davis, born 1846; Samuel Davis, born 1849;

I think that he had two wives, Ruth Edwards born 1797, and a Cooper. This may account for the large number of years between Thomas G. and the others. Ruth was the mother of most of the children.

Aaron lived in Washington Co., OH, then Stark Co, OH, then moved to Muscatine Co., Iowa and owned land in Cedar Co., IA.

Re: Aaron Davis family.

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 2:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis
I am part of that family. It turns out that Aaron was not born in Wales but in Pennsylvania. In the 1850 census he was age 54, listed as a farmer in Muscatine, Iowa. That would have made his birth date as 1796.

Your g-g-grandfather, Joseph Morrison Davis, was born in Stark Count (not Stork), Ohio, September 14, 1833.

I, like you, have loads of information on Aaron P.'s children. Have his wedding date . . . and approximate birthdate of Ruth Edwards, his wife. Have also located a brother of Aarons, Charles Samuel Davis, born in 1848, also in Ohio.

I can be most easily reached at:
thepaper@cox.net

I am the editor/publisher of a weekly newspaper in North San Diego County. Born in Minnesota but grew up in Omaha and know the Blair/Herman/Tekemah area quite well.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Re: Aaron Davis' children

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 2:41AM GMT
Hi! I'm part of the Aaron P. Davis lineage as well.

Contact me at:
thepaper@cox.net

We have much the same information on Aaron's children. I have a huge file on the Davis's but Aaron P. has been elusive. He died somewhere in the Portsmouth, Ohio area, having gone back there from Muscatine, presumably to visit family or friends. He had also owned land back there at one time. Unable to find an obit thus far.

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 2:02PM GMT
Ooops! I have to correct an error in my earlier post. Charles Samuel Davis is not a brother to Aaron P. Davis, but one of his sons. He is a brother to Aaron Davis, the son of Aaron P.

Sorry. Didn't make that clear enough.

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 10:33PM GMT
I have a Jesse P. Davis born in Penn about 1800. He moved to Maryland and married a Sophia Grim in 1823. They had two children (Ephriam and Mahallah) in Washington County, MD before moving on to Ohio, Stark County... Later they moved to Indiana (Steuben County). Ephriam married a Mary "Mary "Polly" Miller. Ephraim had the middle initial of "P"also. Ephriam's son ,Jesse also had a "P" for a middle initial. Could Aaron and Jesse be brothers??? I know Jesse sr. was Welsh. Have you any idea what the "P" stood for???

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 11:24PM GMT
One of my researchers told me that there was a Pugh family closely aligned to Aaron P. Davis. I'm wondering if "P" might stand for "Pugh," perhaps in recognition of the warm bond between the two families. Pugh may well have been a sponsor or benefactor of the Davis family.

It's entirely possible your Jesse and Aaron could be brothers. The naming traditions of the Welsh follow certain patterns. Indeed, a Jesse Davis was my paternal grandfather. Aaron G. (Aaron P's son) also had a common name. There were a number of Aarons within the Davis line.

The fact that Jesse later moved to Stark County, Ohio is interesting. The Welsh, as did most immigrants, tended to cluster together in neighborhoods and follow certain geographical lines. Same foods, same culture, same language. Pennsylvania drew a lot of Welsh because of the mines. Many Welshmen had mining as a background.

One of our family has a journal that suggested Aaron P. was a physician in Wales. If so, I suspect it was our Aaron' P's father, not him. The evidence suggests our Aaron P. was born in Pennsylvania. He's shown in the 1850 Federal Census, as being a 54 year old farmer (which would establish a birthdate of 1796), living in Muscatine, Iowa, and having been born in Pennsylvania.

Our Aaron P. was also supposed to have prepared certain ointments and salves for animals based on his medical training. If so, I suspect these were formulas he learned from his father, who may or may not have been a physician in Wales. I've done a search in Wales but without success. Lots of Aaron Davis's, but nothing solid to connect to.

What part of the world are you in? I edit and publish a weekly newspaper in north San Diego County. Born in Minnesota, grew up in Omaha, moved to California in 1968.

If you'd like to take a look at our paper, it's at:

www.thecommunitypaper.com

Feel free to contact me at my email address of:

thepaper@cox.net

Best.

lyle e davis
editor/publisher
The Paper
Escondido, Ca.

Re: Aaron Davis' children

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 10:14PM GMT
Hi! I'm part of this family and have been researching for a number of years. This is the first I've heard of a second wife for Aaron P. Hooper? Have never seen it. Do you know what the circumstances were? Divorce? Ruth's death? My information is that Aaron P. went back to the Portsmouth, Ohio area and apparently died there; have been unable to locate an obit or death cert.

The 1850 census still shows Ruth, age 53, living with Aaron. They have a child, Elizabeth, age 4. Curious as to when the Hooper lady would have entered the family and whether she was still of child bearing age.

Doesn't sound quite right . . . but, then, so much of genealogy is a puzzle.

lyle e davis
san diego, ca.

My email address: thepaper@cox.net

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 2:31AM GMT
Aaron P. Davis was my great great great great grandfather . His son Aaron G. Davis was the father of Edward Dave Davis who the father Clara Grace Davis who was my father's mother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions