Search for content in message boards

John Sheridan who went to Scotland

John Sheridan who went to Scotland

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sheridan
Can anyone help me find the John Sheridan born about 1828 in Ireland, whose father was supposedly named Peter. He left for Scotland and married an Elizabeth Pringle in Wigtonshire Scotland in 1853 and died in 1873. I am hoping to find the Sheridan's in Ireland connected to this John Sheridan so I can identify the county in which he was born and hopefully make a visit there this summer. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, Kevin

Re: John Sheridan who went to Scotland

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:38AM GMT
there is a baptism record for a John Sheridan born 12/09/1828 on genealogyireland.ie might be worth having a look at

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 5:13PM GMT
Thanks Martina. Unfortunately, I could not access the record. Could you please either let me know what it said (ideally the parrish, county, and parents names) or tell me how I can access it throught that web site? All the best,

Kevin

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 8:01PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2013 8:15PM GMT
here's a link to that baptism, one of several John Sheridan baptism in Dublin city that year - unfortunately father's name isn't Peter, so not a match to your John.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details...

You would really need to know where in Ireland your Sheridans lived (i.e. town, townland or parish) to start a search. Sheridan is quite a common surname and the IrishGenealogy website only covers a few areas.

Do you have marriage and death certs for your John ?
These would usually include names of parents which could help confirm or rule out any possible matches you locate...

Possible sources to check for a more detailed place of origin include the census returns and Poor Law records if applicable. Also worth checking places of birth for other Sheridans living near to your John and his family.

Shane

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:22PM GMT
Thanks so much for the help Shane. I am not going to rule this record you sent out just yet. Here is why: I do have my John Sheridan's death cert but: it did not list a Mother's name which I found out since the Informant was John's son - PETER. Seems strange that Peter would not know his own Grandmother's name. It also makes me wonder whether the Father listed as PETER on John's death certificate could have been a mistake - I can't rule that out.

Here is my challenge in searching the Irish records. All I know is that my John Sheridan came from Ireland. I don't know when or from what County.

John's marraige cert did not list any parents - it also spelled his name Shirdean.

I like your suggestion of checking for other Sheridans near where John and Elizabeth lived in Scotland.

Do you by chance have the correct links for the applicable census returns and Poor Law records?

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 7:59AM GMT
I'm referring to Scottish Census and Poor Law records here - you need to access the Scotland's people website for census returns. I'm not familiar with accessing Scottish Poor Law records, but know of a number of people that have located more detailed places of birth on these.

The Sheridan surname is most common around Cavan and the north-east, so I would definitely include that area in any search if you dont have a definite location. 1828 is a little early for RC parish records, so be aware that not all parishes have records back this far..

S.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 3:45PM GMT
Thanks again Shane!

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 10:40PM GMT
try scotlandspeople.gov there are irish sheridans in clydebank west dunbartonshire most who came to scotland went to glasgow. or port glasgow which is in greenock scotland.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 10:41PM GMT
try scotlandspeople.gov there are irish sheridans in clydebank west dunbartonshire most who came to scotland went to glasgow. or port glasgow which is in greenock scotland.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 11:43PM GMT
Thanks - I tried that but can not determine from where in Ireland they came.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions