Search for content in message boards

Lewis/Simmons/Frazier

Lewis/Simmons/Frazier

Tracy Putnam (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2001 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis Simmons Frazer Frazier
I am looking for information on the children of David Lewis and Mary Crawford.

To be more Specific, on their son Jacob, daughter Eleanor, and daughter Mary.

I am positive that I descend from the John Simmons mentioned in the will of David Lewis (1773).

I am wondering if David and Mary's daughter Eleanor is the Eleanor who is married to James Frazer.

James Frazer left a will in Onslow County, written and proved Jan 1783 in which he named his wife as Eleanor, he also names sons Micajah, James, George, Benjamin, daughters Neadey, and Peney Elizabeth, Salley and Mary, grandaughters Saley and Sarah Roberts and two youngest daughters (no names given)

David Lewis's will is witnessed by James and Sarah Frazier.

James Frazer died 1783 was a neighbor of the Simmons family that was living on the Trent River. He was also a close friend. Benjamin Simmons (who was the brother of John Simmons) wrote his will Aug 4, 1761, in it he states "I give unto my Loving friend James Frazer a certin Parcel or tract of land containing one hundred and fifty acres" this land was located on the south side of the Trent River

There are other deeds between James Frazier and the Simmons, he sells land to John Simmons in south side of Trent River, Feb 1756

To James Simmons (son of the above John Simmons and mentioned in David Lewis's will) land south side of Trent, Sept 1763 (land is descibed as joing said Simmons land)

then we have a deed between between Mary Simmons widow and Jacob Lewis where she is selling him 50 acres of land Nov 1762 (please note that John Simmons wrote his will in 1760 it was probabted 1762

I can't help but feel that there has to be some kind of family connection between David Lewis and John Simmons. JOhn named his wife as Ann in his will, but I wonder if perhaps she might have been Mary Ann???

This is really driving me crazy, I worked on it a coupke of years ago, put it aside, and now am back to it......

ANY help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

Tracy Putnam

Re: Lewis/Simmons/Frazier

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 3:24AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2003 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
Tracy:

Would you by any chance have a copy of that will (of David Lewis 1773, Carteret Co., NC), or a transcription or abstract?

Dawn

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 12:50PM GMT
Oct. 6,1773 (proved Nov. 1773). “I lend to my beloved wife Mary Lewis the use of my whole estate during her widdowhood for her comfort and support and after her marriage or decease give and dispose of same as hereafter mentioned (viz.)” I give to John Shepard, Jr. son of Jacob, the plantation where I now dwell called Indian Town. To William Shepard, son of Jacob, the plantation called Glovers Hammock. To David Shepard, son of Solomon the negroes Tom and Phillis. To John Simmons, now living on Trent, the negro man Sembow. To Daniel Simmons, son of John, dec’d, the negro man Sharp. To James Simmons, son of John, decd., negro man Will, and the woman Tharner. To Benjamin Simmons, son of John, dec’d the negroes Cato, Hamman and Rachel. To Richard Shepard, son of Jacob, the negro Thorn. The residue, after the death of my wife to the legacies above mentioned.
Executors: John Simmons, John Shepard and Solomon Shepard. Witnessed: William Bevins, James Frazier, Sarah Frazier. (Note: No Lewis legatees)

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
Thank you so much. It's odd that he doesn't name any children, though.

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 11:20PM GMT
I agree it is very strange. The Simmons that are mentioned in the will are mine, I am positive of that, their mother is Ann unknown, (thats how she is named "Ann" in her husbands will) I know that their father was not related to David Lewis, and that the James Frazer who witnessed the will had land adjoining this Simmons family in what is present day Jones County (was Craven at the time) I am guessing that my Ann unknown might have been related to this Lewis family somehow.........

Wondering how the Sheppards mentioned in the Will tie in........

Tracy

Posted: 4 Nov 2001 5:53AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Crawford
I was wondering if perhaps these were grandchildren or the children of David/Mary's brothers and sisters??? It just seems really odd that he didn't name any children, but he named all these other people. I'm sure he had a good reason. If only we knew what it was. :-)

I've been looking around on the web. Almost no one seems to have any concrete proof as to whom the children of David and Mary were, but I've seen a couple of different lists. I don't want to spread around unproven data, but a couple of those lists of children named three daughters: Judith (who married Uriah Sherrill), Mary Elizabeth, and Eleanor. I also saw one poor confused soul who named a Rosannah as a daughter. Most of the lists agreed that their sons were John, David, Crawford, Stephen, Jacob and Richard, and a couple added Benjamin in there, too. The researchers who gave sources listed the LDS files and the Virginia Archives. I wonder if anyone has verified those...

Posted: 4 Nov 2001 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Simmons Frazer Lewis
Its the daughter Eleanor that interests me, according to the will of James Frazer, his wifes name was Eleanor, The Simmons mentioned in the will are the sons of John Simmons who was dec'd at the time, His brother Benjamin left land to his beloved friend James Frazer in his will.......

James later sold the land to the sons of John (these are the Simmons mentioned in David Lewis's will) John also had a brother Emanuel whose daughter might have married a Sheppard..........

What a tangled web!!!!!!1

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 2:39PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 8:06PM GMT
HI. I am a Sherrill researcher and I have one tiny bit of info on this.

Uriah Sherrill m. Judith "Jude" Lewis on Dec. 25, 1753 in NC.

Judith b. Feb. 10, 1734/35, d. Sept. 27, 1815.

I show Judith to be the son of David Lewis. No mother listed.

In 1753 Uriah Sherrill and Judtih Lewis bought a place in the fork of Lisles' Creek and Catawba River, NC, where Catawba Station is now. About the time of his marriage, Christmas Day 1754, he erected a somewhat commdious and, for that day, rather pretentious log house which still stands. There all of his children were born and there he died Nov. 17, 1779 and is buried.

Not much I know just thought I would throw it your way.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic