Search for content in message boards

Two relatives married into the same line,

Two relatives married into the same line,

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 11:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
A 23 and me result is that someone matches my DNA at 45 % on two strands so they are 3rd to 5th cousins. Problem tracking their family line is that two people who seemed to be related both married into their line. My guess is that there must be some over lapping. Any logic to this thinking?

Re: Two relatives married into the same line,

Posted: 9 Nov 2013 2:42AM GMT
I'm not an experienced DNA genealogist, but some families married second, third, fourth cousins, or even first cousins. The reason for this was to maintain family fortunes and influence. Does that make sense in your case?

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 12:31AM GMT
This happened more often than we realize, either for financial preservation (for the rich) or because in small isolated communities there were a limited number of available partners.

In my husband's tree, two of his great-great-grandfather's married sisters and another great-great-grandfather married a first cousin once removed of those sisters. The a son of one sister married the daughter of the other sister (a first cousin marriage). This son and daughter then had a son that married the granddaughter of the cousin (i.e. he married his 3rd cousin once removed).

Since my husband's family stayed in a relatively small area, sometimes it looks more like a plate of spaghetti than a tree!

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 10:21AM GMT
I suspect you mean ".45%". Also, estimations of relationships can be overly optimistic.

Pedigree collapse is not uncommon at all. It does increase the likelihood of their cousins matching them from older ancestors.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions