Search for content in message boards

John McDonald Thompson - Western NC

John McDonald Thompson - Western NC

Posted: 17 Mar 2003 2:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have this individual that is wearing me down. I haven't been researching very long and thought I was doing pretty well until I got into the THOMPSON line. I seem to be having trouble getting a handle on it.

Anyway, I have John McDonald THOMPSON (1836-1911) as being married to Dora Jane CLARKE (1846-1922). Although I have a couple of variations on her name, her family has been worked out pretty well. John is a roadblock for me. I have him on the 1880 Census in Mitchell County, but haven't been able to pin him down before that and identify his parents. I believe that he was in Company D of the 6th Regiment during the Civil War, but, other than his marriage, that is all that I can come up with. I do show him as associated with Pineola, Avery County, NC and believe that he was born and died in that area.

I would very much appreciate some insight. He would be my great-grandfather and those empty spaces behind him are worrisome. Samuel THOMSON in Burke County in 1860 was a clue, but I don't think that connects. There are also two or three Thompson families in Yancey County in 1850 and I believe he must be the son of one of these. One is William C. THOMSON (spelling?). The other two are Azariah THOMPSON and John THOMPSON. Of course, the last one looks right to be the father of my John, but that is a little presumptuous and I wanted to see if anyone had anything that would clarify this for me. It's always possible that he came from someplace else entirely.

There is another THOMPSON family in Mitchell in 1880. The head of that household is J.P. THOMPSON and JP looks about 7 years younger than my John. I'm thinking this is a brother, but have no evidence of that other than his presence there.

Does anyone have any info on any of these? Thank you for any and all input.

Re: John McDonald Thompson - Western NC

Posted: 17 May 2011 5:32AM GMT
I show John McDonald Thompson's parents are Samuel Thompson and Mary "Polly" Johnston.

Re: John McDonald Thompson - Western NC

Posted: 17 May 2011 3:58PM GMT
I believe Samuels parents were
David Thompson & Elizabeth Waddy Thompson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic