Search for content in message boards

Looking for Info regarding the name Semple in Ireland

Looking for Info regarding the name Semple in Ireland

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 12:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Semple, Richardson
This is a very in depth story and I'm hoping someone caould maybe help me with it. My Great Grandmother was born Elizabeth Semple on 21 October 1912. Her mother was an Unwed 24 year old. Her residencial address at the time of birth was 49 Florinda Place. She was sent to Rotunda Hospital in Dublin to have her baby. The baby was sold by a woman called Mrs Richardson for £8.00 to the a family in Scotland, who brought her up. The problem that I have is that I have no information on what happened to her mother and Im wanting to find out what happened to her. I live in Glasgow so I am trying to do as much as possible here before I go over to Ireland.

The documents that I have at present is a copy of the mother and daughters birth certificates and also letters between mrs richardson and the family from scotland who adopted her.

If anyone can help me in anyway it would much appreciated.

Re: Looking for Info regarding the name Semple in Ireland

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Hello,

According to Matheson's Surnames in Ireland (1909) the name seems to be clustered around Antrim in Ulster with 18 events and just one event in Leinster.

The mormon library has a microfiche of Rotunda Hospital births which may (or may not) give you some extra info. I used it a few years ago successfully ...

Have you checked the 1911 census at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie ?
There are quite a few Semples in Antrim but only a handful in Dublin ... you didnt mention the mothers name so i could narrow it down ...try and find her in 1911 for a start ... assuming that she was in ireland that year and the correct name was used for registration ;-)

Good luck ...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions