Search for content in message boards

Hobdells in St. Louis City

Hobdells in St. Louis City

Posted: 12 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 May 2002 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: HOBDELL, STACK, HILL
Searching for descendants of Humphrey Thomas Hobdell and Florence Hill, who married in St. Louis in 1881. Humphrey was born in England in approximately 1845. Florence was age 20 when married in 1881. Her mother Mary E. Hill signed the parental consent for her daughter's marriage. I am descended from Humphrey's union with Ellen Smith, which produced a son, Alfred Dutton Hobdell (my g-g-grandfather) in 1860.
Humphrey's father Alfred Hobdell Sr. allegedly died in 1849 in the cholera epidemic. Also searching for information about the parents of Alfred Dutton Hobdell's wife Anna Laura Stack. They emigrated from Ireland approximately 1880-1882, and Alfred and Anna were married in 1891 in St. Louis. I need to learn the names of Anna's parents. They are not on the wedding license application, or on Anna's death certificate. Any clues appreciated! Janis Greenlaw Seaton

Re: Hobdells in St. Louis City

Posted: 2 Sep 2005 3:11PM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2005 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Hobdell, O'Donnell
Hello,

Florence Hill and Humphrey Hobdell had 2 children: William and Florence. Florence Hobdell married James O'Donnell who are my grandparents. Florence Hobdell's marriage to James O'Donnell was her second marriage. Florence Hill Hobdell and William Hobdell are buried in Dickerson Cemetary in Dickerson, North Dakota. Florence Hobdell O'Donnell is buried in St. Paul, Minnesota. I have other relatives who have more information, if you need it.

Posted: 24 Feb 2008 2:44PM GMT
I think you have relatives you don't know about and I pray you get this message - her sister, Helen "Nellie" Stack is buried with my great great grandfather - have absolutely no idea why - I have her death certificate - she died in NYC in 1915 - she divorced her first husband, Sidney Davis and might have married one of Ward's sons. Sincerely, Carol Ward Dudley

Posted: 24 Feb 2008 9:05PM GMT
Anna Laura's parents are William Stack and Margaret Tully. CW Dudley

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 9:37PM GMT
I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your posting. I was in the process of moving in 2005, and never knew you had replied until now. I was wondering if you or any of your relatives have information about date and place of Humphrey Hobdell's death. He also seems to have used Henry as his first name. Also, do you have any idea why they moved from St. Louis to North Dakota?

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: HILL, HOBDELL, O"DONNELL
I'd like to gleam as much info as you and your relatives have on Florence E. Hill Hobdell O'Donnell. I'm researching Elmer Dewey Hill, who was the son of Joseph B. Hill, brother to Florence. I've managed to gather up a bit on this family. Someone on ancestry has Mary Hill's maiden name as McConnell, but so far two death records I have seen have Phelps. Were there two wives? Or, is the file in Ancestry incorrect? Would like to get anything you have on Florence and her parents especially. When and where did she die?
Thank you, Rosie ancestorhunt@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Hobdell, Hill
I have a little bit of information on Florence Hill Hobdell, but almost nothing on her parents. As I recall, I have her death date and place (North Dakota) and found her with her parents in the 1880 census in St. Louis. I'll look up what I have and send it to you within a few days.
Janis Greenlaw Seaton

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 2:15PM GMT
The Missouri History Museum's Genealogy and Local History Index includes some references to a Florence Hobdell: http://www.mohistory.org/genealogy. Perhaps she's related somehow?

Dennis Northcott
Associate Archivist for Reference
Missouri History Museum

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 9:47PM GMT
Surnames: Hobdell, Hill
Let me try to sort this out a little bit. First of all, there were two Florence E. Hobdells. The first one, born in October 1859 (per 1900 St. Louis Census)married Humphrey Thomas Hobdell (later known as Henry Hobdell) 28 July 1881. The other Florence E. Hobdell was their daughter, born in December 1892.

Humphrey Hobdell died in 1904, leaving the mother a widow. I do not believe she ever remarried. She relocated to Stark County, North Dakota some time after being enumerated in the 1910 census in St. Louis City. She died 14 April 1934 in Stark County, North Dakota. Her name at the time was Florence E. Hobdell.

On the other hand, I don't know what happened to the daughter after she was counted in St. Louis City in 1910. I haven't been able to find her after that. She was just reaching marriageable age at that time, so it is possible she married and changed her name.

Florence E. Hobdell the mother gave birth to at least 10 children, but only two of them lived past one or two years of age (Florence, b. 1892 and William, b. 23 October 1888). There are quite a few mentions of her name in governmental records as the mother of children who were stillborn or died young. There are also at least two mentions of her daughter Florence being placed in some type of orphanage setting after the father died--probably because the mother had to go to work and couldn't care for her.

I think I found Florence E. Hill aged 20(the mother) living with her parents in St. Louis in the 1880 census, before she married Humphrey Hobdell. The parents were listed as Thomas and Mary E. Hill. Other siblings included Susan A. age 23, Joseph P. age 22, Mary E. age 15 and William A. age 4. Note the lengthy gap between the birth of Mary and William--this may indicate that Mary E. was the second wife of Thomas. This sibling "Joseph P" may be the "Joseph B" you are interested in.

Hope this helps.

Janis Greenlaw Seaton

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: HOBDELL, HILL, SMITH
I have been working on the Hobdells again. Humphrey Thomas Hobdell was my g-g-grandfather via his first marriage to Ellen Smith. I was wondering if you have any pictures of him or his second family (marriage to Florence Hill and offspring). I know a little more about his ancestry since I last posted several years ago.
Janis Greenlaw Seaton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions