Search for content in message boards

Sarah BRIGGS, b 1694 in Taunton, MA

Sarah BRIGGS, b 1694 in Taunton, MA

Posted: 30 Dec 2000 6:43AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:49PM GMT
Sarah was b 5 Jul 1694, the daughter of William and Elizabeth (LINCOLN) BRIGGS. I have no other information about her at this time. If you know this family, please contact me. Kristy

Sarah Briggs

Posted: 31 Dec 2000 12:21PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2004 5:09PM GMT
Sarah's father was the son of William Briggs, b. Abt. 1644 and Sarah MacCumber. William's parents were John Briggs and Agnes Thayer. They with their children migrated to New England sometime around 1650 and were among the original settlers of Taunton, MA. I have posted a descendancy outline of this Briggs line in a home page under my name Robert H. Briggs on www.familytree.com. On their menu screen look for home pages and click on that. If I can be of any other help contact me.

Desire Briggs Lincoln

Posted: 1 Jan 2001 9:46PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:49PM GMT
Thanks for your quick response. I made note of the data. Sarah Macomber, 1645, is the older sister of my 6 G-gma, Edith Macomber Lincoln. Do you, by any chance, know Desire Briggs (1760-1851) who married Sylvester Lincoln, and also Darius Chipman? She moved from Berkshire Co, MA-->Genesee Co, NY-->Chatauqua Co, NY. Thanks again! Kristy

Desire Briggs Lincoln

Posted: 3 Jan 2001 8:10AM GMT
I have nothing on Desire Briggs.
Posted: 13 Jan 2001 4:01PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:50PM GMT
I trace back to Richard Briggs,(1638) son of John Briggs who emigrated from Thornbury. Richard and his wife, Rebecca Hoskins, had a large family including a son Benjamin who was my 6th graet-grandfather. I can find no record of a wife for him, however. His son Daniel began a line of 5 Daniel Briggs that ended with a great uncle of mine.

Might you have any clue as to the wife of Benjamin Briggs (1677-1767) from Taunton?
Thanks!

Kathy (Briggs) Gire

Benjamin Briggs

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 8:03AM GMT
I have nothing on his wife Ii would be interested in picking up any info on your line that you might have. I have posted everything I know on this line starting with Johanes Briggs in my home page under familytreemaker.com. This page is listed under Robert H. Briggs.
Posted: 15 Jan 2001 9:36AM GMT
Bob,

I found your website and was able to go back one further generation than what I have. Do you think Johannes and Johanna were of German origin?

My information has Richard (1565-1620) as BRIDGES and my source intimated that the name had changed originally from BRUGGES. Have you come across any such info?

If you will send me your email directly, I will give you my line. The closest ancestor of mine on your chart is DANIEL BRIGGS, son of BENJAMIN. This is the first of 6 Daniels in a row that I have! (Think THAT wasn't fun to figure out?)

Happy to share...
Kathy
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 8:37AM GMT
You can contact me at rhbriggs@sprynet.com. It's my understanding that babies named John were often baptised as Johannes around the 1530's. I got curious about this because there was a Johannes Thayer from about the same time and probably from the same parish or area around Thornbury. Maybe the priest was German. The name Bridges and Briggs are essentially the same name and means the people from near the bridge. The original spelling was Brigge and showed up first in written documents back in the 1200's in England. Brugges is probably just another spelling. I have not run across anything showing Richard Briggs as Bridges so would be interested in what you have on that.

Daniel Briggs

Posted: 27 Jan 2001 11:11AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 7:30AM GMT
Do you have a Daniel Briggs with daughter Ellen Frances Briggs? Do you show a Benjamin Briggs in CA in 1850/70? I believe my Briggs goes back to Richard also..trying to prove it. Barbara Briggs Kish
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 1:49PM GMT
No, don't have anyone with that name that I am aware of. Neither do I seem to have any California roots before my own! I don't have the name "Benjamin" repeated that I can find either since the son of Richard died in 1767.
Richard and Rebecca had 12 children. If you need that info, email me and I will give you their dates. My ancestor Benjamin was #6 in the birth order, and he began the string of 5 Daniels that drove me nuts until I got them all straightened out. I have never been able to identify a wife for Benjamin, much less "prove" a marriage, but he definitely existed and fathered Daniel and probably two other boys, Jesse and Jacob, who are mentioned in his will. No wife, though. Bummer.

Kathy (Briggs) Gire
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions