Search for content in message boards

Joyce/Cleary Catholic wedding- how to find info about

Joyce/Cleary Catholic wedding- how to find info about

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 12:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just obtained the marriage bond for a family wedding in the 1880s in Louisville- Mary Cleary and John Joyce. It contains no info about the location of the wedding. Any idea how to determine which church the people were married in?

Re: Joyce/Cleary Catholic wedding- how to find info about

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 8:18PM GMT
Maybe by the street they lived on in the 1880 census?

Maybe there is a webpage for the Louisville diocese that might have that info? I think they do, but I might be mixing them up with St. Louis.

Julie

Re: Joyce/Cleary Catholic wedding- how to find info about

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Cleary/Joyce
Hi Sheila -- first, I would try the Archdiocese again and ask if there were any "Irish" churches in Louisville at the time of your ancestors' wedding. There were German churches for example, although there was prob. a larger German population.

Ask the Archdiocese also which churches were in the parish around their home that year. The 1900 census has a John Joyce/ Mary Joyce, on 8th Street. St. Boniface might be closest, but maybe there is another church that is closer.

Good luck --

Re: question about John Joyce

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 10:29PM GMT
I did a quick search on John Joyce in the Kentucky Irish American newspaper (check out chroniclingamerica.loc.gov, go to KY newspapers, advanced search and select Kentucky Irish American)

was he a champion hammer thrower? Also found mention of a party for John Joyce thrown by Mary Joyce, in 1899.

I also am attaching a short news item from 1899 about a John Joyce falling into the river.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic