Search for content in message boards

Bartholomew Breen father of Thomas b. 1826-1830

Bartholomew Breen father of Thomas b. 1826-1830

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Breen/Brien, Sullivan, Langin, Christopher, Cronin, Ryan, O'Leary, Hardy
I recently discovered the name of my GGG-grandfather as Bartholomew Breen. His son, Thomas Breen (and sometimes appeared as Brien in census and birth records)b. about 1826 - 1830 married Johanna Sullivan b. 1829 or 1830 on
26 June 1853 in Poplar, Middlesex Cnty, England. They are both from Cnty Cork, Ireland, according to family lore.

The marriage cert. lists Thomas' father as Bartholomew Breen (which explains why he named his only son Bartholo) and Johanna Sullivan's father as Daniel Sullivan. I cannot read the catholic parish where the wedding took place, so the names and the actual wedding date are all I netted from it. I'm still happy. :)

I'm posting in hopes of finding others researching these Breen/Briens. Also, if anyone is good at reading olde english handwriting and wants to try to read this parish from the marriage cert., I've attached a scan.

Sincerely,
Dee
Attachments:

Re: Bartholomew Breen father of Thomas b. 1826-1830

Posted: 9 Jul 2007 1:34AM GMT
It appears to me to say "the Roman Catholic Chapel on ____ Street" in the district of Poplar, etc.

Maybe if you were able to get a map of the district you could narrow down the possibilities! It also lists the registrar's name at the bottom and the witnesses, so perhaps you could track the location by matching the registrar.

Happy Hunting!

Posted: 9 Jul 2007 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: Breen/Brien, Sullivan, Langin, Christopher, Cronin, Ryan, O'Leary, Hardy
Yes, I can make out the same as you. I was hoping there might be a list of Catholic chapels in the London area somewhere? I know this was registered in Poplar and they lived there through the birth of their 2nd child, then moved to the Cnty of Kent, parish of St. Nicholas, Borough of Greenwich in the city of Deptford, where their youngest daughter and only son were born. Is there any sites that list the Catholic churches in a particular parish?

Also, I can make out the name of the 2nd witness as John Sullivan, so I've been operating on the possibility this is a brother or uncle?

I did find a Johanna Sullivan in the 1851 UK census living with a Mary and Mathias Fox and listed as their neice. But I do not read this name as Mary Fox. I've determined the name to be Mary S___ (about 4 or 5 letters long) or possibly Mary Ashe or Asher. What do you think. I read the registrar as Thomas William Gregore or Gregory. Where would I find a list of registrars for the year 1853? If you know. I wish I had more knowledge of the UK. I have no clue if the traditions of the Catholic church in 1853 England were anything like 1853 in the US. In the US it is customary to have friends as witnesses. Generally the Best Man and Maid or Maiden of Honor. Almost never is it relatives. Oh well. Thank you for trying to read it. I appreciate any guidance I can get.
Dee

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 7:02AM GMT
Surnames: Sheehan, Breen, Sullivan
I read the residence of both bride and groom at time of marriage to be:

1 Sophia street, Poplar, Middlesex

Ironically, I found the name Bartholomew Breen in birth records in the St. Patrick's parish in Nelson, Northumberland, New Brunswick. The children baptized were baptized between 1828 and 1836. One of the children is Thomas Breen baptized 26 Jan 1836. Father Barthely Breen, mother Elsy Shean. In other records father is listed as Bartholomew Breen, and mother as Alice Sheehan or Ally Sheehan.

You can view the transcription at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kvgene/tra...

As you can see, there are Sullivan's in this listing also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions