Search for content in message boards

JOHN PHILIP SOUSA FAMILY TREE THE BAND LEADER BORN 1854 LOOKING FOR HIS BROTHERS NAMES AND WIVES

JOHN PHILIP SOUSA FAMILY TREE THE BAND LEADER BORN 1854 LOOKING FOR HIS BROTHERS NAMES AND WIVES

DONNA M. EYE (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BELLIS, TRINKHAUS, SNYDER
I AM LOOKING FOR THE FAMILY TREE TO THE BANDLEADER, JOHN PHILIP SOUSA. I HAVE BASIC INFORMATION ON HIM. WHAT I NEED IS THE NAMES OF HIS BROTHERS AND ESPECIALLY THEIR WIVES NAMES AND MAIDEN NAMES. MY GRANDFATHER, WHO HAS PASSED AWAY, TOLD US THAT JOHN P. SOUSA WAS HIS 1ST COUSIN. HE EVEN VISITED HIM FOR THE LAST TIME IN THE 1930'S WITH MY STEP GRANDMOTHER. MY GRANDFATHERS NAME WAS, ELMER MUSSELMAN. WE HAVE TRACED THE MUSSELMAN FAMILY BACK TO 1470. THERE IS KNOW SOUSA. MY THOUGHT IS THAT ONE OF MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S (HER NAME WAS MARIA h. SNYDER) SISTERS' MAY HAVE MARRIED ONE OF JOHN PHILIPS BROTHES. THE TIME PERIOD IS BETWEEN 1854-1930. YOU SEE THEIR CHILDREN WOULD BE MY GRANDFATHERS 1ST COUSIN.

I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR ALONG TIME, PLEASE HELP!

VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS,
DONNA M. EYE

Re: JOHN PHILIP SOUSA FAMILY TREE THE BAND LEADER BORN 1854 LOOKING FOR HIS BROTHERS NAMES AND WIVES

Posted: 8 Feb 2003 4:46AM GMT
There is a message on the Sousa Message Board from Carl Musselman about John Philip Sousa on 31 Oct 2001.

Re: JOHN PHILIP SOUSA FAMILY TREE THE BAND LEADER BORN 1854 LOOKING FOR HIS BROTHERS NAMES AND WIVES

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 7:40PM GMT
hey, my name is josh i am on a similar search. my father tells me im a direct decendant of john phillip, if i gain any info i will let you know.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 8:09AM GMT
Surnames: Sousa and Sousae
Hi,

n case anyone is still looking, here is one source for jPS's siblings: http://www.yourislandroutes.com/portuguese/johnphilipsousa.s...

It my be of interest to his descendents to know that there are many more cousins out there than they might suspect. John Antonia Souse allegedly was "married" to two women at the same time. He had several children of the second "sife" who adopted the surname Sousae. I am a descendant of that family. The families evidently knew each other well and in the mid-sixties, I attended a family reunion in which members of each sect debated as to which were "legitimate."

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: Sousa, Heron, Corriveau
I am a descendant of Antonio Sousa's FIRST wife. The information is a little sketchy. She was my Great-Great Grandmother and was a Seneca Indian. I never learned her first name. There was much family shame and scandal around this, which might have lead to Antonio Sousa remarrying. My great grandmother's married last name was Heron, moving from New York to Michigan. My grandmother's married name was Corriveau. I was told that some of my relatives were called "papoosa", a derogatory term of the past that meant some of the children had very American Indian features. One of my aunts when she was very young met my Great-Great Grandmother who complained about the two Sousa boys who "went into music" rather than a respectable career and played in an army band. The "boys" were John Philip Sousa and George W Sousa.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions