Search for content in message boards

Repeat Test Sample 'failure'

Repeat Test Sample 'failure'

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 1:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
We have submitted 2 samples so far and Ancestry says their test fails each time. Have others learned helpful hints or is there a method to request a swab. I've done more than 15 tests with other companies with no problems but Ancestry's fails each time.

Re: Repeat Test Sample 'failure'

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 9:58PM GMT
After having one of my test fail, might I suggest what I did. First, do your test first thing in the morning before you eat, drink or brush your teeth. Secondly, use a clean soft bristle toothbrush and work it lightly over the insides of your cheeks, without swallowing the spit. Then spit into the test tube. This should give you a adequate amount of skin cell buildup inside your mouth and render enough DNA, that your test should be fine . If that does not work, I really don't know what will.

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 5:38AM GMT
The other suggestion I have heard is to gently chew the inside of your cheek just before you spit. That also helps release more cells into the spit.

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 6:00AM GMT
Thanks - he did all the right things. He didn't use a toothbrush but short of that he followed all suggestions. We'll try again since they are saving money by not sending out swabs like FamilyTree DNA (where I haven't had any of my samples fail).

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 4:20PM GMT
I don't think it is a money saving issue as much as a method of extracting data issue. Both Ancestry and 23andMe use the spit method. FTDNA uses the swabs as does National Geographic. When people send results from more than one company to GedMatch, they appear to be essentially the same, taking into account small variations in algorithms.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions