Search for content in message boards

CLOSED:::Help! FTM 2012 - won't open

CLOSED:::Help! FTM 2012 - won't open

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 2:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Sep 2012 10:39PM GMT
I am having serious problems running FTM 2012.
The last time I successfully used FTM, I did not notice any problems; it seemed to close down fine. That was yesterday.
Now when I try to start the software, the 1st msg that appears tells me that FTM 2012 was not properly closed the last time I used it, I may need to compact the file to resolve any issues caused by an improper shutdown. This has happened to me in the past, I can go into the tree, compact the file and move on.
I click on “OK” and the application-initializing screen comes on, then immediately the message “FTM has encountered a problem and needs to close…”. That’s it. I cannot get any further and the software refused to come us.
I've tried
Any ideas?

Re: Help! FTM 2012 - won't open

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 4:06PM GMT
I would try opening FTM using another tree, if you have one.

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 4:22PM GMT
Have you rebooted the computer since encountering the problem?

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 5:41PM GMT
yes - rebooted and tried again. no luck

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 5:43PM GMT
NO, the software doesn't get that far. I've had that msg in the past, and gotten to the file, compacted it and moved on.
This time I can't even get the software to come up, it gives me the message to compact cuz the files didn't close down properly, then crashes.

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 5:47PM GMT
You open an FTM or GEDCOM file from Windows Explorer to try my trick. Obviously you can't do that by starting FTM and then selecting another tree to open.

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 5:55PM GMT
When I try and open a tree from Windows Explorer same thing happens

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 5:57PM GMT
"a tree" or a different tree?

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 6:02PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2012 6:09PM GMT
Another thing I might try is running FTM from a different user account in Windows to see what happens. If it runs successfully, it might reveal something about where the problem lies.

You might also consider calling into phone support.

Edit: Another idea below

Another idea is to start FTM as you do normally. When you get the message about compacting, don't click anything in it. While it's still up on the screen (and presumably you can see FTM.exe running in your task manager), try to start another instance of FTM. The first instance might lock the tree, so the second instance may open successfully if the problem lies with that tree.

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 10:09PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2012 10:13PM GMT
Try using windows explorer to move your tree files to a different directory. See what happens when FTM tries to open without any trees in it's default directory. If it doesn't work, just move them back.

May need to uninstall FTM and then reinstall it. Copy your tree(s) to another location as a backup, first, just in case.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions