Search for content in message boards

Saving Information Entered into Ancestory.com

Saving Information Entered into Ancestory.com

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Nov 2010 2:30PM GMT
Is there a way to save the information I have entered in case something happens where my work, or a part of my work, gets destroyed? If yes, how would I do a reload of my work?

Re: Saving Information Entered

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 3:38PM GMT
Entered where?

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 11:51PM GMT
I'm sorry, I have entered a large amount of information (father,mother,grandparents, great grand parents etc.) into Ancestory.com. Because of the large amount of information (names and dates), I was looking for a way to back up the files (I know have been created due to the Ancestory program being able to recall the information I'm putting in it). Can this be done?

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 12:39AM GMT
There are two ways to do it if it is an online Ancestry Member Tree.

1) If you have the Family Tree Maker genealogy program sold by Ancestry you can download it all into that program.

2) You can download a GEDCOM of the Member Tree that can be imported into almost any genealogy program.

If you download a GEDCOM it will *NOT* include any media files that may be attached to the online tree.

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 3:41PM GMT
So there isn't a basic "save" within the Ancestory program? Thanks for the reply.

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 4:00PM GMT
Within the Member Tree application- no, there isn't.

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 8:52PM GMT
I'm going to have trouble asking this. Please bear with me. If something happened to ancestry where connections were lost, such as from a family tree timeline to an image...could the same thing happen to the family tree maker version of the tree so that it was lost in both locations? Along that line could ancestry disconnect from connections to a family tree. We can unplug from our end. I assume they can from their end. If none of that makes sense, maybe you could help me understand how reliable using FTM as a backup plan is for a family tree.

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 9:13PM GMT
The simplest answer to your question is - whatever you have saved to your computer will be there, regardless what happens with Ancestry.com servers.

If you use the latest FTM versions and download your tree to FTM, whatever you have downloaded will stay in your hard drive.

If you view or search ~on the Ancestry.com site~ via the FTM interface from your computer, you will not be able to access anything other than what the servers permit. If servers crash or there is a power outage, no one will be able to connect to trees or databases or whatever is supported by the out-of-service machines, regardless what interface they use.

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 9:54PM GMT
As I understand it, your concern is that the links to source documents on Ancestry may break, or cease to operate.

In FTM, you have the option to download any image that's linked to a source; sometimes it's done automatically when you add a new source (but not consistently). You can also easily copy a source with right clicking, then paste it into another person's profile, or you can link another person(s) to a document you've downloaded; all tasks you have to do manually on Ancestry.

If you learn how to edit a source, or create a new source, you can also copy and include as much text information from the original as you need. If you make regular backups, none of that information can be lost. I have a family tree I started on a desktop Genealogy program ten years and four or five computers ago -- I still have all the information I entered. It makes no difference whether I'm connected to Ancestry or not.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions