Search for content in message boards

Cousin DNA testing.

Cousin DNA testing.

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hardiman/Loveridge
Myself and 2 cousins have the same grandmother. I have doubts over my grandfather who is now deceased. Grandmother remarried. One cousin has her first husband as grandfather. Other cousin has her second husband as grandfather. Would a DNA test of my cousins and I, show me who my grandfather is by myself have similar results to one of my cousins?

Re: Cousin DNA testing.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 2:51PM GMT
If you and your cousins are all men who descend from sons of your grandmother, then a yDNA test would probably sort everything out right away.

Otherwise, if you and your cousins take an autosomal DNA match and get close matches to other people related to one potential grandfather's side of the family (2nd-4th cousins), or if you take the autosomal DNA test and discover a solid link to one grandfather's family through comparing chromosome segments with your DNA matches, then you can form a very strong theory about which husband is the grandfather.

(Actually, only you would need to take an autosomal DNA test, but if your cousins test then you can eventually work out if they descend from the same grandfather as you.)

Re: Cousin DNA testing.

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 5:12PM GMT
There should be a difference in the amount of DNA shared between those who share two grandparents and those who share one grandparent. However, AncestryDNA does not give one the tools to determine this.

You can upload your raw data to gedmatch.com and make the comparison.

Full first cousins will share on average about 1/8th of their DNA:
http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

Half first cousins will be more like second cousins or first cousins once removed.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions