Search for content in message boards

stymied on Catholic church records Louisville Cleary/Joyce

stymied on Catholic church records Louisville Cleary/Joyce

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
I got the marriage bond for relatives married in Louisville. It does not have any information other than the name of the people marrying, the date of the bond, and the name of the person who posted the bond. I am trying to figure out what church so maybe I can get additional information. I contacted the Archdiocese. They said they could help me better if I knew the name of the church. There were at least a few. Any ideas besides literally contacting every Catholic church in Louisville?

Re: stymied on Catholic church records Louisville Cleary/Joyce

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Cleary/Joyce
If you can find the part of town your ancestors lived in, using the Census, you might be able to narrow down the Catholic churches.

Here is a page I used:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kylgs/sources.html

It tells you when the church was established and were the records exist now, Very helpful.

I located some ancestor records by faxing a letter with the names, dates, I had. It takes some follow-up and much of the work is done by volunteers.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:28PM GMT
I would add nationality - if one of them was Irish, German etc.

I've got Hornungs that I'm trying to find in the 1840s, so I've contacted some of those locations, everyone is really nice, though it may take a month or so for them to get back to you via email.

Good luck!
Julie

PS - not sure if it is so in your case, but New Albany, Floyd county, Indiana is right across the river from Louisville. Their public library is very helpful - then have a genealogy room :-)

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 6:54AM GMT
Sheila,

Is the marriage you are looking for the same as in this post?:

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.ken...

I notice that you have not responded again in either that or this thread. So are you actively watching them? If so you need to respond to users who offer to help you if you wish more assistance.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 3:38PM GMT
Thanks for the tips. Doing genealogy research is a luxury for me time wise.

Since I was last on here, I sent a follow up email to the Diocese with the info I had from the marriage bond, but never heard back from them.

There were many Catholic Churches, a decent number of which seem to have been at least partially designated as "Irish". Some have closed, so not possible to communicate directly with some parishes.

I also checked the Jefferson County Public Library Genealogy room but they don't hold Catholic Church records. Had the library check Ancestry for me. Doesn't look like they are on there.

I also looked on the Family Search website and it doesn't look like they have any church records either.

So, I guess i can write to each individual parish that looks like it might be an Irish one. And hope the records are in one that has not closed.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:45AM GMT
Sheila,

Now that I know you are still following this thread I will reply substantively.

First regarding closed parishes, their information is available indirectly in that it is housed at the Chancery and the nice employees there will search for records if you given them enough specific information and a reasonable timeframe.

Secondly, regarding marriage records in Jefferson County in the 1800s, you should be aware if you are not, that typically several records were generated: a) marriage bond, b) marriage license, and c) marriage record itself once the marriage had been performed.

(C), the marriage record, is what you need to try to narrow down the search, or at least conduct it more efficiently than a shotgun approach of contacting multiple parishes and the Chancery at once.

From the marriage record you should get the name of the minister who performed the marriage, in this case a Catholic priest. Then you can go to a city directory (after mid 1860s) and try to locate the residence of that priest, which should be the parish where the marriage was performed, regardless of whether the priest was diocesan or a member of a religious order that ran the parish (and initials after the priest's name indicating a religious order can also help pinpoint a parish). Usually you will find the marriage performed at the bride's family's parish, but also it may have been at the groom's (especially if she was not Catholic at the time).

Sometimes of course, if one of the families had a personal relationship with a priest from a different parish, such a priest may have performed the marriage in one of the betrothed's parishes and his residence won't actually help.

So I would seek that record in the marriage registers (at the Metro Archives or on FHL microfilm if you live out of state), and then follow up with the priest's name. If that does not work, then a more scattershot method may be required. Even then, going from the earliest city directory listing for the husband's residence can help facilitate the order in which you search if they resided closer to one of their home parishes.

Good luck with your research.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 1:04PM GMT
Sheila,
A few years I was also searching for a marriage in Louisville. Through message boards I was able to learn that The Filson Historical Society has marriage records. Through another person on the board I was able to contact someone who does research at the Filson. It was expensive but I was able to get a copy of the Marriage Certificate. The Marriage Certificate listed bride, groom, county, witnesses and signed by - which turned out to be the priest that married them. I searched his name and was able to narrow down the name of the church.

Since the church was closed I contacted the Cathedral. They found the marriage record for me.

You can contact me through member connect under Gem5955.

Ellen

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 1:48AM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2013 1:53AM GMT
Ellen,

You basically repeated what I said and then added some information that might mislead her into believing the Cathedral has access to marriage records other than its own.

The Metro Archives has marriage records, including bonds and registers, up to 1916, including transcripts of the registers. That would be the preferred place to get the information if Sheila lives near Louisville. Otherwise, if she lives further away, the Filson is going to have records on microfilm, which one would have to pay to be searched, and which could instead be gotten on loan to a Family History Center for $7.50 at current rates for a 2 month loan.

Re the Cathedral, it is a parish in its own right and maintains its own parish records. Other than that, individual parishes maintain their own records, or if they have been closed, those records reside in the archives at the *Chancery*, which is not part of, nor located nearby, the Cathedral.

Now perhaps the Cathedral office was nice enough to obtain the record for you from the Chancery, but more often they are just going to refer you to the Chancery which should thus just be contacted directly.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 11:39AM GMT
You are absolutely correct. I must apologize. I checked and it was the Chancery that had the records.

At the time the only facility I was aware of that the records was the Filson. Its great now to know that the LDS has the records.

Happy Hunting,
Ellen

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 2:27PM GMT
Thanks to you both. I am in Lexington and we have an LDS place right here. Now that I know that there are several different kinds of "marriage" related documents for Jefferson County (rather than just the bond), I ordered them right away and I assume they'll be in shortly. The wife of the marriage is my great-grandmother's (GGM) sister. GGM remained in Ireland and those records have been challenging. I am hoping that sister's marriage records here will give me some clues about GGM that i can take back to my Ireland research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions