Search for content in message boards

Roman Catholic Cemeteries in Clontarf mid to late 1800's

Roman Catholic Cemeteries in Clontarf mid to late 1800's

Posted: 11 May 2013 3:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2013 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong Gregory
Hi there! Hoping someone can help me as I've hit a brick wall. I'm trying to find some of our deceased ancestors who lived in Clontarf around 1850-1910. I've searched the Glasnevin records but am unable to find them there. So my question is - where are they buried? Does anyone know the names of Roman Catholic Churches/Cemeteries where I can look? They lived on Blackheath & Seaview Avenue in Clontarf.

Gggfather Thomas Armstrong was a "Hatter" and living in 1880 on Blackheath & is not on either the 1901/1911 census. Gggmother Margaret Gregory was a "Laundress" & was widowed from Thomas Gregory listed as a "Miner" and living on Seaview Avenue in 1880 & is on the 1901 Census. She was 73 at the time and is not on the 1911 census. I believe buried with them in what I'm hoping is a "family plot" are the 3 missing deceased children of Thomas Armstrong and Margaret Gregory. All others are in Glasnevin but these people.

Can anyone help direct me to where I need to look?

Thanks so much!

Re: Roman Catholic Cemeteries in Clontarf mid to late 1800's

Posted: 11 May 2013 2:49PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2013 10:12AM GMT
I would look for death first to establish dates, and then work from there (for those that died after 1864). If the family were reasonably well off they may have had a death notice placed in a newspaper, and knowing the date would help focus a search. A death notice may give the name of the church and cemetery used.

Very few RC parishes kept death/burial records, and if the cemetery used was a shared Church of Ireland one then it's unlikely that any RC burial would be noted in their registers.

There's a list of Dublin City & County graveyards on the Dublin City Library website - see : http://dublinheritage.ie/graveyards/

Posted: 12 May 2013 10:32AM GMT
There are just 5 reasonable matches for Margaret's death on the BMD Index on FamilySearch between 1901 and 1911, and just one in Dublin North district which covers Clontarf, and this is in the first quarter of 1908. The age / year of birth doesn't quite match up (1839 vs est. of 1826 from 1901 census), which is not unusual, as this detail is reported by the informant who may not have accurate details.

Three of the others possible deaths are in counties Wicklow and Wexford, all with 1830s estimated years of birth. The last match showing up is the best match by age - a death around the time of the 1911 census in Monaghan district of a Margaret Gregory age 84, so est. born c1827

Posted: 13 May 2013 12:19AM GMT
Shane, you are amazing!!!

Thank you so much for your help in trying to track down my gggrandmother's death record and the other cemetery info. as well.. I've just reached out to a second cousin to try to see if it could in fact be the Wexford one. It could be possible as his grandmother was born in Wexford so these do match.

If all else fails, I will order ALL the possible certificates. :) I'm that determined in my searching.

As far as I've been able to tell, they were quite poor so really doubt anything would have been printed in newpapers etc.

I really stuck gold in my searching by ordering just one record from Glasnevin a while back which was fantastic as it had 5 family members in the same grave. Was kind of hoping for the same with my gggrandmother but couldn't find her or the others there. I'll be ordering the death certificates of all the others in trying to see where these ones could be buried.

I'll be sure to post my results on here.

Kind regards,
Wendy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions