Search for content in message boards

Burnham family in Leeds/Livermore area of Maine

Burnham family in Leeds/Livermore area of Maine

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burnham, Trask
I'm trying to trace the Burnhams back as far as possible, as there is a link someplace missing between my family and the long family trees of Robert, Thomas and John. The only info I have is up to my great-grandfather, Fred L Burnham, who married Mary E Trask on 16 July 1911; they had eight children (Beatrice E, Donald E, Ellen L, George L, Gerald L, Elsworth A, Lula A and Lawrence E) and lived in Leeds for a while, although my grandfather (Gerald) was born in Livermore Falls in 1922.

I can't find Fred's parents' names or his date/place of birth. Can anyone out there assist?

Re: Burnham family in Leeds/Livermore area of Maine

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 5:38PM GMT
Hi Kelly, Fred Lawrence Burnham was the s/o
James Franklin Burnham b: June 04, 1867 in Leeds, Maine
+Lucy Ann Wing b: January 24, 1871 in Franklin Plantation
Children:
Joseph Franklin Burnham b: September 20, 1888 in Peru Or Franklin Plantation, Leeds, Maine, he m. Elnora Sarah Wing b: January 16, 1898 in Leeds, Androscoggin, Maine

Fred Lawrence Burnham b: December 23, 1890 in Leeds, Maine
m. Mary Eleanor Trask b: May 31, 1894 in Gardiner, Whitney, Farmingdale Or Whitefield, Maine

Arthur William Burnham b: May 06, 1892 in Leeds, Franklin Co., Maine, m. Sybil L. Pratt b: 1892 in Livermore Falls, MAine

James Linwood Burnham b: October 10, 1894 in Leeds, Maine

George Columbus Burnham b: February 18, 1899 in Rumford Or Mexico, Maine, m. Gertrude A. Ramsey b: Abt. 1900 in North Leeds, Maine

Ethelyn "Effie" Myrtle Burnham b: March 11, 1904 in Leeds, Androscogging Co., Mainem. Donald E. Tripp

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 5:41PM GMT
JAMES FRANKLIN10 BURNHAM (GEORGE DANIEL9, JOHN H.8, ABNER7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, JOB4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, ROBERT1)

this line goes back to Thomas Burnham of Ipswich, Mass.
Abner was b in Scarborough, Maine and was the pioneer to Leeds, Maine....

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 11:08AM GMT
Hello, Thank you so much for this information, CRBCC! That is so useful, and I really really appreciate it. It's so helpful when I have little to no chance of getting close to public records held in Maine! However if you are interested in this line of the family at all, you may be interested to know that from Gerald Burnham (b 1922), his eldest son is my father, Gerald Roy Burnham, Jr, and his three children are myself, Scott and Jason. Gerald Sr went on to have more children but sadly, my father never had any contact with him, and therefore I never met him before he died. This is one reason I am so interested in researching our family. Many thanks again!!

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 12:13PM GMT
Hi Kelly, who were the wives????

I found this little article in "History of Leeds, Maine":
BURNHAM FAMILY
Among the early settlers was Abner Burnham. Little has been learned of his ancestry or nationality. He had two or more sons, Daniel and John. They were hardy and prolific, and many are their descendants. Azel and Abner Burnham, Jr., may have been sons of Abner, Sen., but, be that as it may, they contributed liberally to the numerous family who have since resided in Leeds and other Maine towns. In the late Civil War the Burnham family was represented as fully, perhaps, as any in the town. They first settled in that part of the Plantation called Pine Plains, and there many of them have continued their residence since. Of names and dates we are ignorant, and incomplete as this sketch is, here it is left for want of data.

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 12:13PM GMT
my email CRBCC@aol.com

Posted: 18 Jun 2008 3:16PM GMT
Surnames: Burnham
Hmm, I think I've hit a bit of a snag - I had thought that I'd found the link between my family line and that of Thomas Burnham, but the family tree I had found for Thomas apparently only followed one son of each generation and did not name any siblings - I can't find the names of James Franklin Burnham's parents anywhere, and I expect that James F is the brother of one of the Burnhams mentioned in the lineage. Any advice on the names of James' parents or siblings?

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Burnham Dirwanger Beeman
Hi
I'm looking for a James Burnham of Maine. He probably had siblings, but I know of only one child, Ida May Burnham, who m. Joseph Dirwanger. Ida and Joseph definitely had only one child, Blanche May Dirwanger, (1884-1972) who m. Wilbur Beeman and had only one child. Wilbur took Blanche to Hawaii, where he was principal of Maui Central High School in 1915. Sometimes he came all the way east to Maine in the summers, but sometimes only as far as California, where he would travel with wife & daughter and represent a school textbook company and sell books to California schools. Wilbur d. in 1920 from something he ate at the California State Fair in Sacramento, and Joseph and Ida moved to California to support their daughter Blanche and only grandchild. I must have dates for Joseph and Ida somewhere as I viewed their graves, now in Colma, CA, since all the cemeteries were moved out of San Francisco, when I attended interment services for that one grandchild in Dec 2005. Might the Joseph Burnham I seek be connected with yours? - David

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Burnham
I meant James, not Joseph.
- David

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 8:43AM GMT
Hi David, that is very tragic about Wilbur. There is indeed a James in my Burnham lineage - the info I have on him is as follows:
Descendants of James Franklin Burnham
1 James Franklin Burnham b: June 4, 1867 in Leeds, Maine
+ Lucy Anna Wing b: January 24, 1871 in Franklin Plantation, Maine
......... 2 Joseph Franklin Burnham b: September 20, 1888 in Peru or Franklin Plantation, ……….. Leeds, Maine
............. +Elnora Sarah Wing b: January 16, 1898 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Fred Lawrence Burnham b: December 23, 1890 in Leeds, Maine;
d: December 26, 1984, Winthrop, Maine
............. +Mary Eleanor Trask b: May 31, 1894 in Gardiner, Whitney, Farmingdale or …………..Whitefield, Maine
......... 2 Arthur William Burnham b: May 6, 1892 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Sybil L Pratt b: 1892 in Livermore Falls, Maine
......... 2 James Linwood Burnham b: October 10, 1894 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 George Columbus Burnham b: February 18, 1899 in Rumford or Mexico, Maine
............. +Gertrude A Ramsey b: abt 1900 in North Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Ethelyn ‘Effie’ Myrtle Burnham b: March 11, 1904 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Donald E Tripp

However, James' father was George Daniel Burnham, whose children were:
Descendants of George Daniel Burnham

1 George Daniel Burnham b: November 17, 1835 in Leeds, Androscoggin Co., Maine
.. +Sophronia Sturtevant b: April 19, 1843 in Chesterville Or Wayne, Maine
......... 2 Caroline Rebecca Burnham b: August 08, 1860 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Joel Taylor
......... 2 John Henry Burnham b: June 07, 1863 in Leeds, Androscoggin Co., Maine
............. +Lizzie A. Taylor Merrill b: Abt. 1867
......... 2 Susan Jane Burnham b: December 31, 1865 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Joseph E. Maxim
......... *2nd Husband of Susan Jane Burnham:
............. +George Sturtevant
......... 2 James Franklin Burnham b: June 04, 1867 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Lucy Ann Wing b: January 24, 1871 in Franklin Plantation
......... 2 Frederick Ellsworth Burnham b: September 08, 1871 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Eva Loella Or Ardella S. Maxim b: 1874 in Leeds, Maine
......... *2nd Wife of Frederick Ellsworth Burnham:
............. +Jennie Bennett b: Abt. 1872 in Auburn, Androscoggin Co., Maine
......... 2 Elizabeth Belle Burnham b: March 25, 1873 in Leeds, Maine
............. +John Richard New? b: in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Lucinda Burnham b: September 01, 1875 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Son Burnham b: September 23, 1877 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Sarah Emma Burnham b: August 08, 1879 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Roland M. Maxim b: in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Willie Russell Burnham b: March 14, 1884 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Lewis Daniel Burnham b: January 14, 1886 in Leeds, Maine
............. +Eva I. Maxim b: 1876 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Ida Ray Burnham b: January 14, 1886 in Leeds, Maine
......... 2 Ada May Burnham b: January 14, 1886 in Leeds, Maine
............. +John M. Hyer b: Abt. 1870 in Oxford, Maine

So, interestingly, there was a set of twins named Ida Ray and Ada May - who were James' sisters - is there a possibility that either of these is the woman you are seeking? From the info I've been given regarding my family, it does not appear that James had a daughter named Ida, but rather a sister. Unfortunately I don't have any further info on Ida or her twin's marriages or descendents as that isn't my line. Also, James Burnham seems to have been (and still is) a common name in that area of Maine, so of course my family may line may be entirely different to what you are seeking. I hope this is some help!!

Kelly
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions