Search for content in message boards

Robert Donaldson or Donelson

Robert Donaldson or Donelson

Bettye Brown (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2001 4:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Donaldson, Donelson, Ferris
Seeking parents of Robert Donaldson,also spelled his name Donelson. He was born 10 Jan 1765 in Orange Co. NC. He married Margaret(Peggy)Ferris in Williamson Co., TN 25 Dec 1806 and died in Williamson Co. TN 15 June 1837.

Re: Robert Donaldson or Donelson

Posted: 21 Nov 2004 6:22PM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2005 10:21AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson, Walker, Donelson
I too am researching a Robert Donaldson born in Orange Co. NC about 1754 who moved from there to Williamson Co. TN. The wife I knew about, Martha Walker, died in North Carolina about 1789. I found Robert in the Williamson Co. Tax rolls from about 1806 to 1813 (which was when this book’s data ended). The spelling included Donelson and Donaldson in this book. This Robert also served in the Revolutionary War. I have an estimated death of about 1830 something in Williamson Co.
I am not familiar with a second marriage, so I am very interested in your study. It makes since that he might remarry and his two oldest sons married in Williamson County. I hope we are talking about the same Robert Donaldson. Hoping to make contact and trade information.

Posted: 18 Dec 2004 1:38AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 11:18AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson, Donelson, Ferris
Robert Donelson who married Margaret Ferris 25 Dec 1806 in Williamson Co., TN stated in his Rev. War pension application that he had no record of his age, but from the best information he could obtain he was born Jan 1765 in Orange Co., NC. In his wife's application for a pension after his death there is a Bible record which gives his marriage date to Margaret as well as the names and dates of his children. Their marriage is also recorded in Williamson Co. TN. Her pension application states that he died 15 June 1837 in Williamson Co., TN.

Posted: 18 Dec 2004 4:10PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 11:18AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson, Donelson
You know, I believe that we are talking about the same Robert Donaldson/Donelson. The similarities are so close. I have been “given” different birth date, but with no documentation whatsoever. You mentioned a record that gives the names of his children.
Do you have access to that? “My” Donaldson’s children are listed in a will from his first wife’s father (if we are talking about the same person). The children listed are: Buckley, Barnet, Moses, Elizabeth and Thomas, the list being rather short since their mother died early. This list might determine if we are talking about the same Robert. I do hope it is. Looking forward to hearing from you again (with fingers crossed).

Posted: 18 Dec 2004 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2005 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson
The Bible records I have only give the children of Robert and Margaret. They are Polly b. 1807, Jane (my line) b. 1809, Ann M. b. 1811, Leah b. 1812 and Minerva b. 1814.
Do you have any idea who the parents of Robert are?

Posted: 18 Dec 2004 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2005 10:11AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson
The records I have been given say his parents were Robert Donaldson born between 1725 and 1730, location unsure( possibly Scotland), died 1770 in Orange Co. I have found an abstract of a record:
North Carolina Will Abstracts, 1760-1800 - 1790 January. DONALDSON, HANNAH; Robert and Mary (children); Rachel Dickson, Elizabeth Noell, Hannah Breese, Catherine Archdeacon and Sarah Wilkerson (daughters). Page 47 and
Hannah Unknown, died 1789 in Caswell Co.
There are a number of researchers of this line. I have just started about a year ago on this line so I don’t have very much documentation.

Posted: 17 Feb 2005 2:02AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson, Dalzel
Hello Ladie's,
My name is Steven Donaldson and the Robert Donaldson's you are talking about are my Ancestor's Robert Sr. it is believed was b. in Glasgow, Scotland around 1726 possible parent's are Andrew Donaldson and Janet Dalzel. I found these in some parish record's in Lanarkshire, Scotland but havn't confirmed it yet, they also state Robert Jr. was born in Glasgow around 1748. I havn't been able to locate any immigration record's yet? The earliest record of Robert Donaldson (Sr.) I've found is a land sale from James Currie for 315 acres in 1754, Orange Co. N.C. among other stuff i've also got a copy of Robert Sr.( in his will he spells his last name Donalson) and Hannah's Will. I know that part of the family went to Tennessee and then on to Illinois after the War of 1812 and that Martha Walker remarried to a William Fulghum in 1831, I had thought Robert Jr. had died in N.C. abt. 1806 but if he didn't and moved to Tenn. with his son's and wife, then it would explain why i've been beating my head agianst the wall. Can you help me please? My head hurts!

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 5:51AM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2005 10:10AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson, Donelson, Walker,Fulghum
You’ve heard the saying “Take two aspirin and…”? This might apply here. <big grin>! As I stated earlier, I am fairly new at this, but I have had some good help from some other researchers. My thoughts are that the Martha Walker Donaldson who married William Fulghum in 1831, is Buckley Donaldson’s daughter. She is found in Tishomingo county Mississippi, in 1850, living next door to her youngest brother Calvin Donaldson (who is my direct ancestor). Calvin later moved to Texas in about 1878.

I had been given a death date about 1789 for Martha Donaldson, wife of Robert, but if I am reading right, she was still alive at the death and reading of the will of her father, Moses Walker in 1806. I have found Williamson county tax rolls, 1806-1813 as follows:
Williamson County Tax Rolls

1806 – Page 104
Robert Donelson
1807 – Page 134
Robert Donelson
1808 – Page 172
Robert Donelson
1809 – Page 239
Robert Donaldson 116 acres Grove Cr. by deed W-1 B-1
1810 – Page 270
Barnet Donaldson W-1 B-0
Robert Donalson 116 acres Grove Cr. by deed W-1 B-1
1811 – Page ???
Barnett Donaldson W-1 B-1
Robert Donaldson 116 acres Grove Cr. W-1 B-1
1812 – Page 302
Robert Donalson 116 acres Grove Cr. W-1 B-1
1813 – Page 335
Robert Donaldson 116 acres Grove Cr. W-1 B-2
Barnett Donaldson 50 acres W-1 B-0
Buckley Donaldson 40 acres W-1 B-0
Starting in 1809 Donaldson is spelled the same way that we spell it now. Was the one before that spelled Robert Donelson a different person? Barnett and Buckley are definitely brothers and I feel that Robert Donaldson is their father. Like I suggested, two aspirin…
Let me know your thoughts on this confusing tale.
Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of Robert and Hannah’s will that you mentioned?

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 3:21PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 11:50AM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson, Donelson
Hi Donna,
Here's an attachment from my Gedcom, it pretty much has everything that i have on paper with the exception of some lant grant's i've recently found in Illinois for Barnett and his son Moses Martin. The headache's are coming from a Donaldson family (Humphry Donaldson) who also had a son named Robert that moved into Caswell Co. from up in the northeast just after Robert Sr. died. This Donaldson family also moved into Tennessee (Wilson Co.) in the early 1800's. And to make it a little more interresting the Robert from this Family was also in the Rev. War.
Let me know if you get the attachment and what you think.
Your's Aye,
Steven

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 3:32PM GMT
Don't you just hate that? No wonder the confusion. I didn't get the attachment on the last message. If you want you can send it to my email address dona@lads.net
I noticed you messaged my son, Randy in Illinois. He's is hooked also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic