Search for content in message boards

Cropping photos with lots of people in them - is there a way to use just ONE photo?

Cropping photos with lots of people in them - is there a way to use just ONE photo?

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 1:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Sep 2012 1:08PM GMT
Hi. Does anyone know if it's possible to use a main photo - a wedding for example - and somehow use a portion of that photo (a bit like you do for a facebook profile pic) as a person's headshot for their main picture OR do I have to spend time laboriously cropping each person out into loads of individual jpegs so that I can add it to their profile as their main photo?
I use ancestry.co.uk and FTM2012 if that helps. Thanks.

Re: Cropping photos with lots of people in them - is there a way to use just ONE photo?

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 5:42PM GMT
I manually create headshots in a photo editor (Photoshop). Doing this requires high resolution scans to prevent the cropped and zoomed photos from being overly pixelated. I often scan group photos that are small at 1200 DPI, medium sized ones at 600 DPI, and large photos at 300 DPI, though that's a judgement call I make with each photo. I then do some minor editing of the shots by adding adjustment layers to correct for lighting, photo-age, etc.

If there is software out there that is smart enough to do all this well, I'm not aware of it. There are certainly some auto-fixes that can be applied en masse to photos to save some time, if you're pleased with the results. (Most of them do fairly well with "levels" correction and that sort of thing.) It all comes down to the photo editing software you use and what it's capable of doing.

Re: Cropping photos with lots of people in them - is there a way to use just ONE photo?

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 11:56PM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2012 12:15AM GMT
To add a little to what Marco is saying.

I use Photoshop not to crop people out in a group photo but highlight them.

For Example: Most families in the late 1800's only could afford one photo so they took a family shot. I attached the family photo to the family as Media then with Photoshop Highlight one person (or darken everyone but one) for each person in the photo and add the photo to the person media. This give the entire photo some context showing the person in relationship to others in the family. It can be a lot of work but also can be rewarding.

Photoshop has a procedure for doing this that I saw some years ago with a color photo that you only wanted to make the candle color and the rest of the photo B&W.

EDIT: I don't know of a way to use polygons in FTM, sorry.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 7:46PM GMT
I use the Snipping tool on windows 7 to make head shots of people.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 7:03PM GMT
Unlike some of the other responses you got, I know what you mean. Unfortunately I can't see a way of doing what you want within FTM. It seems such a pity because they make such a play of being able to link the same file to several different people. Have you had any luck with this elsewhere?

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 8:44PM GMT
So far as I know Reunion (Mac program) is the only one that does this

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 10:23PM GMT
Thanks for the reply but that is still not cropping WITHIN the FTM program.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 10:46PM GMT
I think that it is unrealistic to expect a database program like FTM, to provide good image processing compatibility. If you want a full functioning image processor then you will have to use a program that was designed for image processing. There are many good free image processor such as Irfanview. Even MS Office has some components that are dogs.

An example is the word processing part of FTM, It is an added function to FTM's main purpose of being a database. It is a very poor word processor, and it has significantly improved over what it was in FTM 16. But since FTM is principally a database I put up with it. When I need a full functioning word processor I use Word Perfect.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 7:36AM GMT
Sorry but I never said anything about wanting a "full functioning image processor" - just some way to select part of an image as a person's main picture. FTM has some image functionality already so I don't think this is a big deal. You can go on all you like about other programs but that does not address the issue raised by the questioner here. I'm just surprised that the people behind FTM haven't thought of this some time ago.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 7:46AM GMT
PS I can do this with my mobile phone to create the images for several contacts from one group shot and that is hardly a "full-functioning image processor".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions