Search for content in message boards

Westview Cemetery, Moultrie

Westview Cemetery, Moultrie

Patricia (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2006 12:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know where I would go to look up the record/location of a grave in that huge cemetery?? I drove slowly thru it because it was too hot to walk it. I am looking for Gibson/McDonald graves.

Re: Westview Cemetery, Moultrie

Posted: 2 Jun 2006 3:43PM GMT
I'm pretty sure that the revised ed. of Colquitt County, Ga. Cemetery Listings includes Westview. The Ellen Payne Odom Gelealogical Library in Moultrie has a copy of the revised ed. This book would have a record of the tombstone info but, unfortunately, doesn't have a way to locate the graves. Maybe the librarian at the Odom Library would have a suggestion. If the city of Moultrie or the county maintain the cemetery, they may have a location guide.

Patricia (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 4:04PM GMT
I am sure that the City must maintain the cemetery as it is located within the city limits and next to the old high school. I guess the Mayor's office would be a first step as to finding the proper office.

Posted: 9 Aug 2006 9:37PM GMT
If you contact the City Hall in Moultrie they can connect you with someone who has a map of Westview Cemetery. I had to do this a few years ago, but if the person is buried on someone else's plot, then their name would not be listed. My uncle was buried on his wife's family plot and he was not listed. If they have the name listed they can give you directions on where they are buried.
Good luck.

Posted: 1 Nov 2006 3:04PM GMT
I recently returned to Moultrie and went to City Hall to locate my ancestor's grave. They gave me the exact location. I went to the cemetery and had no problem. In fact, there was also buried in that same plot was a "cousin" and her husband. I got a "two for one"!!

verneice (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2006 2:56AM GMT
Hi, saw your post. Westview Cemetary is currently being surveyed in order to have the names and locations on file. The current map that is available, doesn't have anything but the family name and not all of those are correct. As we are surveying the cemetary, we are trying to include all graves with as much information as we can. Unfortunately with a cemetary of this size there are so many that are not identified nor marked in any way. It will take some time to complete this project, but when it is completed the info will be available at the library. If you can send the names and whatever info you have, I will look it up and see if it is in the info we have compiled so far. When the survey is done, each of the plots /graves will have a location assigned, and a map will be there so that will be of great help in locating the people. Hopefully this project will make it much easier to find the graves in this very large cemetary.

Posted: 9 Nov 2006 12:31PM GMT

For what it is worth, I have started using my video camera to survey cemeteries. This way you can say what you want to and then play it back. I have a small tv and vcr next to my computer. It works really well and it is better than all the writing that I often cannot read when I get back home.

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 1:06AM GMT
Thanks for the offer of help but as i stated in another message I had no problem finding my relatives after i was told which office to go to. I realize that Westview is a huge cemetery and better surveyed on a cool day. LOL!! May i suggest that a map of the cemetery be included in the book that indicates the road/lane in relation to the main streets.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic