Search for content in message boards

Please help

Please help

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 5:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Majette
I am searching for my grandparents marraige certificate. I found them in the 1940 census and i believe they have been married for about 2 or 3 years. However I dont know the date and I dont know the location. Where would I begin to look for this certificate. I want to get the physical copy. Please help

Re: Please help

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 6:04AM GMT
Where did you find them in the Census? And what were their names & ages? It is always very important to give names, dates, & locations when looking for info.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 6:12AM GMT
Sorry
Found them in the 1940 census - Romanoke township NC. Their names are Armstrong and Debie Magett. He was 25 and she was 20 years old

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 4:02PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2013 4:19PM GMT
You don't say what County that is, there is a "Roanoke Township" in at least a couple of locations that I know of. In U.S. research, it is very important to indicate the County because that is how most searches are done and all records are stored by County and State. Also, I hope you have located them prior to 1940, you need to follow them backwards through their census years to find out where they were living. It is important to find your ancestors and their families in all of the Census tracing them backwards from 1940.
Anyway, once you've determined the name of the County both in 1930 and 1940, do a Search on FamilySearch for the Marriage Record. They have a database with most NC Marriages 1759-1979; at the following link put in one of the parents names, first & last; then click either "Marriage" or "Residence" under the Search Life Event; add in the County and State, then click SEARCH. You'll get a lot of options to check through.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1675514

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 4:31PM GMT
The county is Northampton NC. I found my grandfather in the 1930 census with my great grandfather in Northampton NC. My grandmother in the 1930 census with her parents in rich square northampton nc.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:59AM GMT
It sounds as though you'd go through the county Register of Deeds at http://www.northamptonnc.com/register.asp to get this. Note, however, that Northampton seems to be on the northern border of the state, so it's always possible that they crossed into Virginia.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 3:30AM GMT
I dont have a date - about 1935. Is their a way to check before i spend money for the copy.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:10PM GMT
What does the 1940 census say about where they were in 1935? If they were in different places, that narrows the date range for the marriage. If they were in the same place, that might be a good starting point.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 4:03PM GMT
Well the 1940 census shows my dad was 3. I know for sure he wad born in 1937. I want to believe they were married before he was born. In the 1930 census, although not together, they were both in northampton NC. Someone suggested to check with family search - i found nothing.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2013 9:02PM GMT
Have you checked the Birth records? The NC Birth Index is online at Ancestry.com, that will give you the names of the parents. They only listed children by whatever name the mother had at that time, that is, if they were illegitimate, he would only be listed under the mother's name. If you have a subscription to Ancestry.com, you should be able to use this database; if not, let me know your father's name and I'll look:

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=8783&...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions