Search for content in message boards

Courtney / Cournane, O'Brien, Foley, Griffin, Cahillane, Barton

Courtney / Cournane, O'Brien, Foley, Griffin, Cahillane, Barton

Posted: 14 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Cournane, Courtney, O'Brien, Foley, Griffin, Cahillane, Barton, Callaghan, Cormack, Brien, Prendergast
Looking for descendants of Cournane / Courtney, O'Brien / Brien / Cormack , Foley, Griffin, Cahillane / Callaghan , Prendergast & Barton familes who immigrated from the Catholic Parish of Keel, Castlemaine on the Dingle Peninsula, Co. Kerry , Ireland from 1850-1960 to Springfield, & Boston, MA, Indianapolis, & Terre Haute, IN, East St. Louis, & Chicago, IL,Detroit, MI, San Francisco, & Oakland, CA
Any connections?
Thanks,
Mary
tmlein@fullnet.com

Courtney / Cournane of Dingle Pen. Co. Kerry

Posted: 7 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Courtney, Cournane

Dick, I have corresponded with you before, my Courtney/Cournane's were in
the Catholic Parish of Keel, Castlemaine, Co. Kerry. The name is usually seen
as Cournane in the early records and the names were used interchangably.
Anne Niedzielski had Courtney's from Fahamore. Castlegregory and I believe
you said prev. that yours were in Coolroe, Castlegregory. Hers were in
Brooklyn, NY if you have not already contacted her, Last Sept her address
was
annenied@hotmail.com.
All, Mary
Jasper, Indiana
tmlein@fullnet.com
BARTON,DALY, FOLEY, O'BRIEN, O'CONNOR , MACHIN
in Co.Kerry, BERRY, CORRIGAN, GALAGHER,GRAHAM, McCAFREY, McGINTY,McGRAIL,
NOON, SWEENEY in Co. Mayo, MONTGOMERY in Co. Donegal, MEHAN, McNULTY,
SMILEY in ? Ireland

Courtney/cournane

Posted: 7 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2006 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: courtney
GP John Courtney born Castlegegory Kerry Ir. 1880's
father may have been Cournane? came to NYNY 1888 Married and raised 7 kids in USA

griffins

Stephen Griffin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
My grandfather, John J. Griffin emigrated from Castlegregory on the Dingle peninsula in/about 1920. He settled in Holyoke, Ma (near Springfield, Ma.).

Gortaneden, Keel, Castlemaine, on the Dingel Peninsula, Co. Kerry, Foley - Carey

Posted: 19 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Foley, Carey

Hi, In looking over my data , I also have in Gortaneden , Keel,
Castlemaine, Co. Kerry, IR in the Griffiths of 1852, a Catherine Foley, Margaret Foley,
Jeremiah Foley, and in the census of 1901, a Johanna Carey age 70, a
widow, with Edward Carey a son, age 40 a laborer, Patrick Carey age 30 a
son , a laborer, and Michael Carey, age 26 a son, a laborer. I am wondering
if this widow Johanna Carey is your 2nd Great-grandmother, as your John
Carey born 1860 could fit in here. Do you see anything that looks familiar? Also in 1901 in Gortaneden was a Tim Foley, age 65 years with wife Mary age 60, son Jerry age 30, Mary Foley a daughter-in-law, age 30, Tim Foley, age 2 grandson.
There was a Patrick Foley age 40 an agrl. lab. with wife Nano, age 40, and children Tim foley 15, Jerry age 12, Hanora, age 8 or 3.
All, Mary
tmlein@fullnet.com

Foley-Carey family of Keel, Castlemaine , on the Dingle Peninsula, Co. Kerry

Surnames: Foley, Carey, McCarthy, O'Brien, Connor, Barton
I have done extensive research on the Foley families of the Catholic Parish of Keel, Castlemaine , on the Dingle Peninsula, Co.Kerry. In the townland of Gortaleen, Keel, Castlemaine, Co. Kerry in the Griffiths of 1852 there was a John Keary living between Mary McCarthy and Ellen Brien/ O'Brien. In the census of 1901 there were 2 Carey families Bridget Carey in house # 6 with 5 inhabitants, living betweetn James Connor and Patrick Barton, my Grandmother's Brother, in house #24 there was a John Carey with 12 inhabitants, and John Carey is listed in King's Hisoty, In house #25 is Edward "Ned" Carey with 6 inhabitants. Foley's are found throughout the Parish but the majority are in the townlands of Shanahill East and Shanahill West. Thanks , I look forward to hearing from you.
Mary
tmlein@fullnet.com

Foley descendant

Paul Ryer (View posts)
Surnames: Foley, Carey
My great-grandfather, John Carey, was born in Keel abt. 1860 to Patrick Carey and Johanna Foley; emigrated to NY city, where he married Mary Carroll; he died in 1911. My grandmother Rita was their 9th child, born 1909.

Unfortunately I don't know much about these families in Ireland; would love to know more about their parish, or other records.

Courtney

Deanna Burnham (View posts)
My great great grandfather was Martin Courtney. His grave is in Aiken S.C. You said above that the name Cournane and Courtney or the same. What clan did he belong to and on the ship records I should look for both the spellings? I have another question for you if you happen to know is the name Cullum McCullum or did it have another spelling. Thank you for any help that you could give me. Deanna Burnham

Griffin's of Castlegregory

Posted: 1 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2001 3:28AM GMT
My family of Griffins came from Castlegregory in 1852. John, Thomas, and Maurice settled in CA. Michael settled in Holyoke, MA. It would certainly seem that our Griffins connect somewhere.
Bob

Dingle,Castlegregory,Kerry,Ireland

Posted: 18 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Callaghan, Foley, Griffin
I don't know if this helps, but here is my connection to Dingle. My g-grandmother Johanna(Hanna) Callagahan(Callahan)born abt. 1865, came from Dingle parents Bartholomew and Mary(Goold) Callaghan. Siblings that I know of. Minnie, John, Patrick, Mary(Margaret?). Patrick and Mary settled in Brooklyn,NY Mary married a Sullivan. My g-grandmother Hanna, John and Minnie settled in Holyoke,MA. JoHanna married John Foley about 1882. John's parent where Timothy and Julia(Fogarty). In his obit said he came from Killarney. I have Hanna Baptismal record. St Mary's Church. found a possible sister of Bartholomew Johanna.
I also have Griffin on the other side. Thomas Connor(O) married Ellen (Griffin) Connor live in Castlegregory. Thomas and 3 daoughters came to US settled Holyoke,Ma Catherine my g-granmother, Mary died 27yrs and Ellen(Nellie). Nellie married Leary lived in Westfield,Ma. Looking for sons? I haven't found her yet but Thomas's wife Ellen(griffin) might have come over too. Dont' know yet. Catherine my G-Grandmother married Patrick Hogan 1885. I have more info if needed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic