Search for content in message boards

garty family in westmeath

garty family in westmeath

Posted: 14 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2002 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: garty
my grandmother, mary garty, was born in brooklyn but her family was from westmeath county in ireland.
seeking john, jack and/or james garty in westmeath county ireland ireland circa 1860.

thank you, kate mccaig

Garty from Westmeath

Posted: 6 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2002 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: HERBERT, HOULIHAN, O'HARA, GERAGHTY
Hi Kate,
My ggg-grfthr Patrick Herbert had a sister Maria Herbert. Maria married James Geraghty in RC parish of Moate/Mount Temple in 1840. James' name was spelled various ways in the records, including GARTY. James & Maria had three children baptized in Moate/Mount Temple that I have found - there could have been more.

Catherine, of James Geraghty & Maria Herbert, bap 27 Sep 1842; sponsors: Joane Harford & Maria Geraghty
Thomas, of James Gearty & Maria Herbert, bap 6 Dec 1846; sponsors: Bernard Gearty & Maria Gearty
Maria, of James Geraghty & Maria Herbert, bap 19 Jan 1852; sponsors: Thomas Kinehan & Bridget Geraghty

There were many more Garty/Geraghty etc. in this parish register. I only concentrated on James & Maria. Maria's two brothers came to Boston MA in 1870. Anything sound familiar with these names?
Sue

Re: garty family in westmeath

Posted: 16 Oct 2001 4:28PM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2002 2:08PM GMT
Dear Kate, re your query of 14th May 2001, John Garty of Rathwire, Killucan, Co. Westmeath, was the father of James Garty, born about 1851, who married Ann Furlong, b. 1853.
Their children were Margaret, 1884-1980, John abt.1878, Peter abt.1880(who married Annie Reilly), Christopher abt.1881, Patrick abt.1882, Michael abt.1884.
My relations are from Margaret, who married George Quirk of Dublin and came to live there.
Rgds
John

Posted: 17 Oct 2001 1:49PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2002 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: garty
OOPS!!!
i just re-read your reply to me and saw James DID have a son named John b. about 1878 which, if correct, might make him too young to father my grandmother.

did john of 1878 or his father, james, emigrate to the u.s. and settle in brooklyn, n.y.?
did john of 1878 marry and to whom? (no one in the family knows my grandmother's mother's name)
did john of 1878 have a daughter named Mary born in brooklyn and a son named roswell also born in brooklyn?
roswell hated his name and was called ros (pr. roz) forever more.

thanks, kate

Giraghty family in westmeath

Carey J (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: Giraghy, Gurathy, Garty, Carty, Priday, Prydee
Has anyone over heard of GARTY every being changed to CARTY?

I have recently found records for my great-great-grandmother in the RC chapel of Tobberclare near Glasson in the townland of Ballynakill Upper. However, the actually records could possibly be from the Church of Ireland records at the chapel of Benown.

My g-g-gm's maiden name was AGNES GIRAGHTY or GURATHY. She married THOMAS PRIDAY or PRYDEE and had at least three children (JAMES, CATHERRINE and WILLIAM PRIDAY) all born in the 1830s. The family farm they owned passed hands back and forth a few times with a family named CARTY (ELLEN, BERNARD and TERESA). From this I assume that the CARTYs are of some relation. Until now, I never considered that GIRAGHTY could be transformed to GARTY and stretched even further to CARTY. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you.
Carey

Re: Giraghty family in westmeath

Vincent Garty (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 7:40AM GMT
Hi Carey,

Edward McLysaght in his book "The Surnames of Ireland", page 119, states that (Mac) GARTY is a variant of GERAGHTY. On further research I have found that GERAGHTY has about 14 variants and GARTY is one of them, mainly found in County Westmeath. As many people could not read nor write in the 1800's in Ireland they probably did not care how their name was spelt and it was left to someone like the local priest to make up the spelling. hence you get naming variants. May be CARTY is another one.

I have records from the RC parish of Tubberclaire for the baptism's of the children(Ann, Edward, Margaret, Patrick and Susan) of Patrick GARTY and Mary BYRNE between 1830 and 1841, so the name GARTY did exist in that parish.

All the best,
Vincent Garty

Re: Garty from Westmeath

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 7:53AM GMT
Surnames: Garty
Hi Sue,

I should mention that in the Civil Parish of Kilcleagh, including Moate, for the Tithe Applotments 1825-1829 I found :

William Garty on the townland of Moate and
James Garty on the townland of Aughafin, Cregan MCar and Fiermore.

Regards,
Vincent Garty

CareyJ (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2001 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: GARTY, CARTY, GIRAGHTY, PRIDAY
Hello Vincent,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Do the Baptism records that you have list any places of residence? I have just returned from a visit to the Glasson/Tubberclaire area and found deed records stating that AGNES GIRAGHTY PRIDAY owned a property about 40 yards down the road from the Tubberclaire chapel in 1850.

Posted: 7 Nov 2001 7:29AM GMT
Surnames: Garty
Hi Carey,

I got my listing from the County Westmeath Heritage Centre. No place of residence was listed. I would suggest you contact the the County Westmeath Heritage Centre or consult the parish register.

Regards,
Vincent

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 7:37PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2002 3:43PM GMT
Hi Kate, While investigating my family from West Meath, I found my grandfather's ship manifest on the Ellis Island site. His name was Matthew Montgomery and he came over to the US in 1920. On the manifest he listed Thomas Garty as his cousin. Thomas lived at 78 West 48th Street in Manhattan. I then looked up Thomas on the Ellis Island site and found that he came over from Killucan on April 11, 1910. Another thing I found was Landowners in Westmeath circa 1970 and a Mrs. Ellen Garty, Killucan, owned 250 acres. Hope this helps. Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic