Search for content in message boards

Cole Family in Arkansas & Tennessee pre 1850's

Cole Family in Arkansas & Tennessee pre 1850's

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 12:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole - Holcomb - worthington - smith
My mother was Ethel Helena Cole b: 1913 in Blue Mtn Ark. her father was Rufus Manson Cole b: 1886 the son of Manson Marian Cole b: 1854. M.M's father was Mark Cole and here is where I find a blank wall. I know he married Serena Hooper . I can find information on her linage but not Mark W's. They had 8 children according to my g-father:
Alta Olina, John, Russel Riley, Mark Washington, Sidney Mae Ellen, Cella Woods, Eric Marion and Ola Mae. I have just read the Cole Family in 1800 and did not find any thing on this line . I would be so grateful if someone has this line if they would be willing to swap info or at least point me in the right direction. I have found family researchers to be a wondefully helpful group. Thanks so much

Re: Cole Family in Arkansas & Tennessee pre 1850's

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 12:53AM GMT
In 1900 Manson says he was born May 1854 AR with father b TN & mother b IL. There doesn't seem to be much out there but I did find this:

1850 Riley, Yell, AR

John W Cole 43 TN
Frances 45 NC
MARCUS W 16 TN
Francis M 11 AR
Ernesta A 10 AR
Rufus K 7 AR
Sarah 3 AR
William D 21 TN
Rebecca Davis 19 TN

In 1860 they are in Scott Co AR but only with initials, no first names.

Maybe this will help a little bit............Vicky in AZ

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 4:07AM GMT
Hi Vickie in AZ, I thank you so much for your help I have from my grandfathers list John Cole as his g grandfather but no other names to pair him up with so this helps immensely. Wishing you good searching, Carol in CA

Re: Cole Family in Arkansas in Magazine- blue Mountain area

Posted: 21 Sep 2009 5:18AM GMT
I would like to contact some of the remaing relatives of The Manson Marion Cole family still living in that area. It is my hope that some of them may have further information about the cole family ancestors. My lineage decends from Manson Cole through his son Rufus Manson Cole who was born and raised around that area.

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 12:59AM GMT
I am at a deadend on a couple lines. You said something I hope you can clarify for me when you said, "I have just read the Cole family in 1800..." What did you read? I am stuck at about 1800. Maybe this will be a help.

Thank you.
Phil Cole

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 3:28AM GMT
Oh boy Phil!!!I have read so many things and I can't recall all of them. I think it was a book that was on one of the sites that had been scanned in so that you conld read it. It had long lists of names in the Cole family and I spent a long dreary time going through it but never found any of the Coles in my Arkansas clan. I think I found it through Google book search. In the past 2 months I have been to so many sites that I just can't remember them all. I am sorry!

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Morgan
Hello, I too am searching for memebers of my Cole clan. My ggrandfather was born in Alabama 25 Dec 1825 (GILES M. COLE) & his family moved to Alexander Co., IL around 1832. I do not know his parents names, but he is the oldest child. Giles M. Cole, Peggy Cole, Mary Jane Cole,Christopher Columbus Cole, Christina Cole,William Henry Cole, Leanna Sue Cole, Elizabeth "Eliza" Jane Cole and Rutha Ann Cole. After the parents died, sometime between 1845 & 1849 Giles married Martha Jane Morgan and they moved to Missouri in 1852.
I would like to know what the "M" stands for in Giles M. Cole. Since you have mulitple names, in your family line, that start with M I was curious.
Barbara Cole Adams

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 4:37AM GMT
Hello Barbara,
Appreciate the interest you show in the family research. I am sorry that I can not help you on the subject of Giles M. Cole I do not have him on my records as far as I know. This researching is a great deal more stop than go. I am having a whale of a time trying to track my cole family. I loose track after 4 generations and can't seem to pick up the trali. But I keep trying. Hoping someone will come forth with some useable information. Do your adams family mess with mine somewhere? My G grandmother Eliza Jane Adams
had 2 brothers But don't know much about them.

Hang in there. Carol

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 8:21PM GMT
Thanks for the response. As for the Adams family, my husband's family came from Lancaster County, South Carolina. His great grandfather was Samuel Francis Adams and gg grandfather was Francis Adams, but there is a brick wall there like on the parents of my Giles M. Cole.
Thanks again.

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 5:15PM GMT
say Barbara, I didn't think of this before but if your giles is somewhere in my family past unaware to me it might help. The "M' in my Cole family usually stand for Manson--&--Marion. My ggf was Manson Marion, My gf was Rufus Manson, My uncle was Ronald Marion and my brother was Robert Manson. So these names must be back somewhere further. You might try it and see
Best Wishes, Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic