Search for content in message boards

Name of Plantations; That owned "Harris" slaves

Name of Plantations; That owned "Harris" slaves

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Harris
Are there any plantations in Georgia that owned any slaves that were given the last name Harris?

Re: Name of Plantations; That owned "Harris" slaves

Posted: 13 Mar 2010 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello: I have been search this post looking for the surname Harris in Alabama, Georgia for about ten years...Are you looking for someone in particular? I am looking for Flemming Harris B:1843 in Alabama.

Posted: 13 Mar 2010 4:38PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Harris,Bean
I'm trying to find any information on my Grandfather born in Texas in 1869 or 1870.His name was William (Willie) Harris.Very little is Known about him in our family.He was married to Lydia Jane Bean from Silsbee,Texas. They had my father who was Will Hardy Harris. In William's Census record ,it states that his father was from Texas and mother was from Georgia it doesn't mention their names.

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 12:49AM GMT
Hello: 1869 the slaves in Texas were not yet free..or some had been freed on June 19, 1869. My great grandparents Flemming Harris (1843)Alabama and Mary Bingham (1845) Mississippi had a son named William (1865-69)
See: 1880 Census for Knights Mill, Elmore County, Alabama.
My grandfather (James T.) is Williams brother. I don't know if he is your William, but there is a good chance..If it is a match, please contact me. We are having a reunion this year in October..

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 4:03AM GMT
yes, the Elizafield plantaion just off from Darien, Georgia who had many slaves with the last name Harris. Maggie Harris, Josephine Harris, Jerry Harris, Clarence Harris, Leola Harris, Margaret Harris, Herbert Harris. These Harrises are buried on the former slave burial ground at ELIZAFIELD BURIAL GROUND. If you should need more info, contact me at harryhillery@live.com

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 5:33AM GMT
Thanks for the information on the Elizafield Plantation in Georgia. This may be a great breakthrough. I will contact you...

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 3:49PM GMT
Yes, my ancestors owned a plantation in Montgomery, Alabama. The current location is now enclosed by a fence. I just found it on Find a Grave for William Harris, my 4th great grandfather/ancestor. I am of mixed heritage Black and White. The plantation was called "Harris Plantation". When you research it, it comes up as a railroad site now. Look up William Harris on Ancestry.com and you will find him on my family tree.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 3:35AM GMT
Intersting information. My great grandfather was Flemming Harris and he was born in 1840 some where in Alabama. He lived in Sulphur Springs, Hopkins County, Texas for years and died there around 1920. I believe he was Mulotto. I will research Montgomery County. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions