Search for content in message boards

Buttons Disabled in FTM2012

Buttons Disabled in FTM2012

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
If you're using FTM2012 and you need to sync, go to your Plan page on FTM and look at your Sync Now button. Is it greyed out?

The reason I ask is because mine is greyed out and disabled, even though I get the message "Sync needed". Also, my "Invite to Online Tree" button is greyed out and disabled.

I figured that this might just be a glitch in the software so I shut down and restarted, but it is still the same. This is weird.

Re: Buttons Disabled in FTM2012

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 5:04AM GMT
Yes, I have had random issues with this. It seems to crop up when something goes wrong with sync or compact. I have closed the file and compacted by scrolling to file and selecting it. Closed FTM and reopened. This often clears it for me.

Other things I have tried:
Opening another file to break whatever connection is established with the offending file.
Cleaned up hard drive by running disk cleanup to get rid of left over file that might be hanging around.
Some combination of all these :o)

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 4:05PM GMT
Thanks for the tips. I tried a combination of compacting the file, shutting down the software, cleaning my hard drive then restarting the software. This worked.

Weird... but it worked.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 10:19AM GMT
Hi, I had this problem for some time and think the cause is that you have Auto update selected. If you go to the top right corner you have a tick if in sync and two arrows if sync needed. Right click on whichever is displayed and select the 'Sync Options'. This will open an update options window just select to manually update and the button functionality returns, well did on mine so fingers crossed ;-)
Hope it helps
Dave

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 11:31AM GMT
David,
Not so in my case. I do not have auto-update select, and my sync now button is grayed out most of the time.

I've been using the sync button in the top right (up and down arrows).

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 12:34PM GMT
I have always had sync set to manual. The update changed mine to auto which I finally realized and set back to manual. So I don't know which of my earlier mentioned maintenance or this had an affect. But mine works now. I suspect it was file issues (not finishing completely or closing properly after sync or compact)

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 8:10PM GMT
Hi David. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

I took a look at what you suggested in the Sync Options. My system is already set up to update Manually, so that isn't the problem for me.

Sometimes my buttons are available and sometimes they are greyed out and unavailable. There can only be one of two things causing this, as far as I can tell: (1) poor programming or (2) an intentional bug placed in the program to persuade people not to sync too often due to server load issues. In either case, this issue needs to be fixed by the developers of FTM since it limits the functionality of the software and makes it less than what we purchased.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions