Search for content in message boards

Bartholomew Joseph, Thomas Francis, and Michael Coleman

Bartholomew Joseph, Thomas Francis, and Michael Coleman

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coleman
I am searching for any information regarding any of the three folks above.

Bartholomew (Bartley) left Ireland and arrived in the States in 1896/8 and lived in Skaneateles NY. His brother, Thomas arrived in 1892, while Michael, a recent find (through Tom's obit) remained in Ireland, and still living there as of 1947. I have no other Irish information beyond this but would welcome any help/info.

Cheers!

Re: Bartholomew Joseph, Thomas Francis, and Michael Coleman

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 9:43PM GMT
Have you located US marriage or death certs for Bartholomew or Thomas ?

These usually include names of parents and sometimes other details that would assist your search for the correct Irish records. Any arrival Immigration records, e.g. in Ellis Island, could include details of last place of residence in Ireland ..

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 7:36AM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2013 8:13AM GMT
Is this your Bartly with his family on the 1940 US census ?

Skaneateles, Onondaga, New York
Bartley J Coleman 68
Ella W Coleman 60
Francis Coleman 31
Dorothy Coleman 21

Bartley born Ireland, his wife and children born New York.

If it's correct, then gives an estimated year of birth for Bartholomew of about 1872, although one other returns give his year of birth as abt 1874.
Do you know ages/years of birth for the other two, are these three men brothers ?

p.s. he seems to be listed with a Hackett family on the 1900 census return, and single at the time... so looks like the marriage took place later than 1900. Looks like Bartholomew died in 1953, as there's a FindAGrave reference to that name for Saint Mary's Cemetery
Skaneateles

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 8:18AM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2013 1:47PM GMT
In the FamilySearch extracted records there's a possible (underline possible) birth match for a Bartholomew Coleman in Sept. 1875 in Millstreet sub-district co. Cork. Parents are Maurice Coleman and Mary Lucey. Birth for several sisters are listed, but no sign of a Thomas or Michael for this family that I see ...

Millstreet is the name of a town in North West Co. Cork.

Definitely think the marriage and/or death certs are the next step if you dont already have these.

Posted: 5 Oct 2013 6:39PM GMT
That's them, and thank you. I have located Bartley's marriage vert, but the folks at the church said there were no parents were listed, though there was a Francis in their records so it's possible that was their father's name. I will look for Tom's, not sure why I haven't done that yet.

I think the big problem is that a lot of the records were lost in 1916 (if I have the year right) in the fire in (Dublin, I think) Ireland, so locating physical records has been a challenge.

Thank you for the advice and help, I think I have to write to the offices at Rosecommon to see if they exist.

Posted: 5 Oct 2013 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2013 8:53AM GMT
The fire that people often refer to was in 1922 at the Four Courts during the civil War, but did not effect Civil records (i.e. BMD certs), or Catholic records.

Not all births were registered in the early years, and it's possible your Bartholomew is among these. Having parents names would help confirm or rule out those possible matches,and using a parent search can some help locate possible births for sibling instead, and get your search started.

One of those births shown on the BMD Index may well be a match for your Bartholomew, it's just a case of locating evidence from US records to try to prove one of them as being 'your' Bartholomew
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions