Search for content in message boards

Stewarts of Liskey

Stewarts of Liskey

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 2:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart
I am currently working on a family tree for my sister-in-law who was married to a Stewart. She has in her possession a copy of a letter sent by her husbands grandfather William Stewart to a Mr. Messick in Ireland in 1970. The letter tells of when the Stewarts came to Ireland in 1610 from Ayrshire Scotland.It also tells of a claymore or sword in the Stewart house at Liskey in Tyrone county that was carried by a Stewart at the Battle of the Boyne.

William had 3 brothers that I know, Joseph,John and James. William's (who was born Mar 13 1890) father was James Stewart ( b 1857).Williams mothers maiden name was Ellen Wauchope. .From what I gather from the letter James' father was John Stewart (b 1823)who was married to Mary Budd. The father of this John was Hugh Stewart(b 1792 d 1851)

William married Mary Ann Galbraith and they came to Canada in 1912.

Any information on these Stewarts?

Thanks in advance

Thank you

James Chamberlain

Re: Stewarts of Liskey

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 7:02PM GMT
Some of these Stewarts came to Tennessee in the late 1800's.
There was Joseph H. who married Alma Black and David Wood Stewart who married Elizabeth Norton .

Posted: 25 May 2010 3:05PM GMT
Is the letter from your sister-in-law has from Andrew Messick? If so, I have some information for you. Is there any chance I can get a copy of this letter?

Thanks!

Paul Case

Posted: 27 May 2010 2:48AM GMT
Did these people live in the United States? If so, do you know where?

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 8:43PM GMT
Some of the Stewarts immigrated to the U.S. from Ireland . Some to Tennessee and some to Louisiana. David Wood Stewart married Elizabeth Norton and they lived in Memphis in the early 1900's.An Andrew Stewart married Theresa Pharr and lived in the New Orleans area in late 1800's.

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 8:50PM GMT
The letter is from Andrew Stewart Messick sent in December of 1970 and the letterhead states Messick Realty Company Covington Louisiana. I will try to get a copy to you if you still want it . Is an email attachment OK?
Are you related to this family?

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 9:08PM GMT
First, yes I am related to this family. The Andrew Stewart Messick who wrote this was my Great Uncle. His sister was my grandmother. My grandmother's mother was a Stewart and the Queen of Mardi Gras in the late 1890's. My great grandmother's father was Andrew Stewart who immigrated to the US from Liskey, Strabane, Ireland in 1848. He settled in Memphis, TN and married Josephine Pharr. Ultimately, 3 other of his brothers came to the US and together, they formed a very successful cotton factoring business based in New Orleans.

Second, I would really like to have a copy of the letter. An email attachment is fine. Let me know if you want to know more about this family.

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 7:24PM GMT
My great grandfather was David Stewart who married Bessie Norton and lived in Memphis. My understanding is that his father was James Stewart of Liskey (a doctor) who married Mary Budd. David and Bessie Stewart named one of their daughters Mary Budd. My grandfather, John Norton Stewart was her brother and Bessie and David's only son. Based on ships logs, it looks like David arrived in the US in 1887. I have just started to trace this family line. Any adivice would be much appreciated. Does anyone know which Stewart clan (in any) gave rise to this branch of the family? Thanks so much. Elizabeth

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 1:48AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2013 3:31PM GMT
David Wood Stewart etched his name on a window at Liskey House prior to his move to Memphis (we have a least one Memphis photo album at Liskey). The portraits James Stewart and Mary Budd still hang in my parents hall.

Posted: 5 Mar 2011 4:39PM GMT
Hi I'm not sure if this is the same Stewart family but my great great grandfather was Alexander Stewart eldest son of Hugh Stewart and Dinah Dewar. If they are the same family, let me know and I will try to help. You can also chech out my tree.
Dwight
per page

Find a board about a specific topic