Search for content in message boards

Susannah Dewitt of Horry County, SC

Susannah Dewitt of Horry County, SC

Posted: 6 Aug 2004 5:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dewitt
Does anyone have any information on a slave named "Sam" (no surname mentioned) that Susannah Dewitt purchased from D.W. Oliver? It is also possible that "Sam" could have been part of Joseph Dewitt's estate. A family member has a copy of the Bill of Sale dated Nov. 22 1848 in the amount of $717.07. I am trying to figure out how old he was at the time. He used the Dewitt name.

Re: Susannah Dewitt of Horry County, SC

S DeWitt (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 9:28PM GMT
I don't, but I'm curious as to what Joseph DeWitt you are refering to and who his direct line was in South Carolina,
meaning father, grandfather, etc.? Thanks,

Posted: 22 Sep 2004 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2005 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: DeWitt
What Joseph are you referring to, and who is this Suzanne you are referring to? I have been researching the Horry county DeWitts for years, and I am not sure which Joseph you are referring to. I am always looking for DeWitt links, and would love to find what you have in regard to this Suzanne..
Thanks

sonya (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 8:11AM GMT
Surnames: dewitt
I found out I was looking for the wrong person. I was looking for a "Samuel" Dewitt that may have been a slave of Joseph Dewitt. I found a document stating Susannah Dewitt purchased a slave named Sam from Daniel w. Oliver in 1848. I assume she is the wife, mother, or sister.

I found the Samuel I was looking for he was actually born in 1865. I don't know who the "Sam" in the document is.

sonya (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 8:19AM GMT
Surnames: dewitt
I was barking up the wrong tree. I was looking for a Susannah Dewitt who was named in a bill of sale for a slave named "Sam" in horry county from Joseph Dewitt's estate i think Josheph jr. (died 1825, will was in probate until 1848) she purchased the slave from d. w. oliver in 1948. that all i know.

I found my sam dewitt a few weeks after posting the message in the 1900 horry county census. He could have been a desendent of this slave.

I had some inaccurate info when i began my search. Thanks anyway

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 9:34PM GMT
Was this a Joseph of Horry, or another section of SC? I would love to see the document if you are willing to share it.
I have been researching the DeWitt family in Horry for years.
My last DeWitt I found is a Joseph that died aroung 1805. Do you have anything on them that may help me get beyond this point? I will send you my Email if you are willing to share the document, or tell me where I can find it. Thank you

sonya (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2004 3:44AM GMT
I think Joseph might have been Joseph Dewitt Jr I'm not sure he may have been the elder.

The document is actually in a book (The History of a family from Slavery to Freedom by Franklin Dewitt) I think a copy might been in a library in Conway. I can tell you it is filed in the Horry County Courthouse in deed book L, Page 361. The bill of sale took place on Nov. 22, 1848 she paid $717.07 for "Sam", the slave. It was recorded on Jan. 10, 1849. It took place in All Sanits Parish of Horry county. If I can find a scanner I will try to email it to you next week. I hope this helps.

Posted: 25 Sep 2004 3:56PM GMT
That would be wounderful, if you could. I really want to tie in this Suzanne and the papers may give me some help.
Thank you so much.
Jan

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 3:14AM GMT
You are right in the "wheel house" of my ancestry with this question. My understanding was that D.W. Oliver bought 17 slaves from Susannah DeWitt in February of 1848 for approx. $6,400.00. Susannah DeWitt was his maternal grandmother. It is not known why he purchased her slaves. In the "Slave Narratives", you can read the written account of William Oliver (descendant of the DeWitt's slaves) who grew up on the Oliver Plantation. His father, Ceaser, was the slave driver on the Oliver's Plantation. You can also access info on "Old Oliver Place" on the South Carolina historical website.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions