Search for content in message boards

Indicating direct ancestors

Indicating direct ancestors

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'd like to know if anyone here has a method for indicating direct ancestors. I came across one tree where the person uses a photo of a flower for each person in his/her direct line, but I prefer to have a photo of the actual person or of a document (when either is available). I was thinking perhaps an asterisk, but I'm not sure how that might affect searches. It would be nice if Ancestry would allow bolding or different colors, but I don't think that's possible right now!

What do you do?

Re: Indicating direct ancestors

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 9:32AM GMT
Hi There,

I use a photo of a tree when I get past about my 2nd great grandparents or so. At that point, I need help remembering my line on some branches. Also, I don't have photos available for most of the older individuals.

What about the relationship calculator?

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 11:48AM GMT
I agree Cheryl! I've also tried various work-arounds for this, but none of them is perfect. Perhaps you should post your message to the Ancestry Improvements board also?

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics.ancestry.ancimprovements...

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 11:55AM GMT
As noted many times on these boards, some use capital letters in the names for direct ancestors.

Of course if a tree owner collects parts of others' trees, this practice may dictate some extensive name-editing.

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 2:18PM GMT
I was thinking along the lines of allowing users to mark a person in the tree as a 'direct relative', maybe in the "Edit this person" panel, and then having those direct relatives appearing in a different colour (or bold) in the Family Members panel?
I don't want an automated system though, based on 'View Relationship to me', as I don't appear in any of my trees.

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 4:18PM GMT
Capping the SURNAME is a standard practice to determine direct lines. You can dream up many other widgets to use on Ancestry Member Trees, a little heart (your keyboard has symbols, hit "alt" to see them), a color field pic, the possibilities are endless.

Anything you put in the name field will affect the indexing. If you're concerned whether your data can be found by others searching for great grandpa John Smith, then don't put a symbol before the first letter of the surname.

You also want to consider that if you intend to download and export your ACOM Member Tree to upload to another site or desktop program, all those widgets probably aren't going to translate.

Figure out what's important and what visually works for you.

You might want to create a small test tree on Ancestry and tinker around with symbols, pics, etc. You can test how it will translate to other applications/programs/displays, and the indexing and searching.

Posted: 1 Dec 2010 4:36PM GMT
Thanks to all of you for your responses! It seems there are quite a few of us who would like to find a way to do this.

I'm not in favor of using caps for the surname, for the reason mentioned - I already have to edit out other people's caps when I use info from their trees and find it time-consuming (and a little annoying, since I invariably miss some of them!)

Using a tree picture would work, but I do have some photos (of ancestral homes usually), documents, and sometimes photos of gravesites that I prefer to use for the ancients.

I do use the relationship calculator, but would prefer something more visual for when I get into the ancestor view.

I will post this message to the Improvements board (thanks for the link!) and see what happens!

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 7:34AM GMT
I ♥ my little ♥'s ;-)

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 4:14PM GMT
I've seen some icons with a heart in the corner of the standard profile picture.

I've taken this one step further, because I like photos when possible: I added a small heart to the bottom right corner (using Picnik.com) and put "Direct Line" in the comments for the photo. For those I don't have photos, I'm going to use something like the coat of arms with the heart.

I have made sure to include a "standard" photo in my media gallery for the person, so if someone wants to include my Direct Line in their tree, they can choose that photo.

<3

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 5:58PM GMT
I like the idea of making direct relatives bold. That's a great suggestion.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions