Search for content in message boards

Ships from Ireland in 1887

Ships from Ireland in 1887

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cahill
I am trying to locate my great grandmother Margaret Cahill who I believe immigrated in 1887. She was born in Tipperary, Ireland Dec. 14 1869 and came over when she was 17 as per her obituary I found. I am having trouble locating her on any ships lists. I don't know if she came by herself and if there was anyone in the U.S. when she got here. The obituary states she lived in Troy, NY the rest of her life which means she probably came into New York but Troy, NY is in upstate NY and Boston isn't that far either. Not been able to pin her down. Anyone who could help me with this? Even though she would turn 17 in Dec of 1886 wouldn't think that she would have sailed in Dec of 1886 so probably just anytime in 1887. I am stuck on this and would love to have some help!

Re: Ships from Ireland in 1887

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 8:40PM GMT
Are you serious? You have this info on your family tree. Don

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 1:32PM GMT
I have put a ships manifest on my family tree but I am not completely sure that is the right manifest. the age doesn't match her year of birth and there a few different manifests that have a margaret cahill on it so I am not sure. If the age matched hers then i would be more sure but it might not be her its only a guess. I wouldn't have posted if I thought that the information on her arrival was absolutely correct that it is her.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:42PM GMT
Have you considered the possibility that she came in via Canada? Granted, Troy is near Albany, but my Scottish ancestors came in by way of Canada, and settled in PA. It's a possibility that a lot of us don't consider - we always assume our ancestors came by way of the closest city to where they lived, and that isn't always the case. Try checking some Canadian manifests. I've found that researching immigration is THE most frustrating, dead-end part of my research. So little definite information, and so many similar names....especially among the Irish! Don't give up, though - you may have a breakthrough eventually!

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:43PM GMT
thanks for the reply. I never thought about Canada so I will check into that as well.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 2:47AM GMT
It was a lot cheaper to travel to Canada (as the boats travelling there were allowed to take more passengers) so that made it worthwhile travelling that way, if money was tight (as it was for most emigrants).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions