Search for content in message boards

Location - Fried Green Tomatoes

Location - Fried Green Tomatoes

Neill (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Where in Fayetteville were parts of Fried Green Tomatoes filmed?

Also, I have been to Starr's Mill but that mill does not look like the one in the movie.

thanks for any reply

Re: Location - Fried Green Tomatoes

Barbara McDaniel Ray (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Travis, McDaniel, Vining
Hello Neill. It's always good to hear that someone is a "fan" of this very special and very Southern movie. I don't know of any scenes filmed in Fayette Co., but just across the county line in Coweta Co., part of the movie was filmed in Senoia, GA; part in Newnan, GA (both in Coweta Co.) and part further south at Juliette, GA (I believe Juliette is in Monroe Co.) The mill and dam scenes were there in Juliette as was the Whistle Stop Cafe'. In Newnan were the inside of the Threadgood family home and the nursing home where Jessica Tandy visited with Kathy Bates. My parents' home--the Travis-McDaniel house in Senoia, GA was the site of all of the outside filming of the Threadgood family home. My parents live there still in this white Queen Ann Victorian home. Across the street from their house in Senoia is the RR bridge and tracks where Buddy Threadgood met his fate in the movie. My great grandparents, Willis Sidney and Estelle Vining Travis built their home about 1910, and the description in Fanny Flagg's book of the Threadgood family home is a good match.
It's amazing that it has been nearly 15 years since that movie was released. People still come to Senoia to look at the Travis-McDaniel/"Fried Green Tomatoes" house and walk on the bridge, and of course take pictures.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Barbara McDaniel Ray
Atlanta, GA

Neill (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 6:58PM GMT
Hi Barbara,
thanks so much for replying. I actually met your parents (Olin and Sue?) in 2004. I had wanted to interview them for a documentary called Fried Green Tomorrows: Juliette, GA Lives. Although it was about Juliette, when I met them I just really enjoyed talking to them. It ended up that the documentary is only 45 minutes so we had to forgo other interviews. Anyway, I'll never forget the two of them sitting on the front porch talking about their relationship and marriage, and Mr. McDaniel said "it seems like it's only been two weeks. Time is so short." I believe they said they were in their 90's?

The reason why I'm searching for locations again is that I live in Juliette now and I'm always asked where everything was filmed. Although I knew about the nursing home and Winn Dixie in Newnan, I did not know that the Threadgoode interiors were film there. So, thanks for that info. There are websites that say Fayetteville (the city) was a principal location for the movie, but I can't find exactly what was filmed there. Also, supposedly, Starr's Mill was the building where all the gambling took place in the movie. I have been there but it just doesn't look like the same spot. Maybe because it's been 15 years.

If you would like, you can email me directly at neillien@hotmail.com

Neill Calabro
http://www.friedgreentomorrows.com

Barbara McDaniel Ray (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: McDaniel, Travis, Westmoreland, Foster
This is a follow-up for the Message Board and List, since I have already responded to you Neill, by direct e-mail. I am so very pleased that you had that experience of the visit on the porch with my parents, W. Olin and Sue Adams McDaniel. They are amazing people who have had very fulfilling and long lives. In May, they celebrated 70 years married and birthdays 94 and 90. That makes them the senior married couple in Senoia. Sadly, my father is nearing the end of his days and is in hospice care at home. Mother, at age 90, with amazing competence and energy, sustains us all.
The filming of "Fried Green Tomatoes" was an enjoyable event in their lives and for Coweta and nearby counties. In addition to hosting the "movie people" as they were referred to locally, Mother was an extra in the movie. Many others in the involved communities enjoyed roles as extras. And, individuals and groups provided many special kinds of support for this growing industry.
My father does have several major Fayette Co. connections. After retirement from his military career and a return to the family home in Senoia, he taught mathematics at the Fayette County High School (I believe there was only one high school in the county at that time.) Because of Olin's GA Tech electrical engineering education and years of military employment, he had much to give to his students, and time and time again, "Col. Mac" was selected "star teacher."
My father's roots run deeply in Fayette and Spalding Counties with pioneer ancestry among the Travis, Westmoreland and Foster families.
Thanks for starting me down this nostalgic path, Neill.
Regards,
Barbara McDaniel Ray
Atlanta, GA

Barbara nelms (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2006 4:51PM GMT
The grocery store parking lot scene is located where the gym is next to Hobby Lobby on Highway 85 in the City of Fayetteville.

neill (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2006 9:01PM GMT
thanks alot for this info. It turned out that a friend of mine who worked on FGT in '91 still had call sheets listing all the locations. I was able to map out all 16 spots in Georgia where scenes were shot.
Very interesting.
thanks,
Neill

Posted: 9 Mar 2008 2:55AM GMT
Hi There!!!

I just see the move Fried Green Tomatoes, and I am really exited because I will go to visit Senoia tomorrow !!!
I am really , really, really exited to see the beautiful house where the film was made.
I am going to write you later about my experience!!!

Thank you and It is an honor for me if you read my message,. because I am a big fan of this movie!!!

Posted: 10 Mar 2008 6:26PM GMT
Don't forget to also go to Juliette, Ga; an hour east of Senoia. This is where the Whistle Stop Cafe is. Have fun !

Posted: 10 Mar 2008 6:43PM GMT
Hi again !!!
Unfortunatly i did not find the house.
Do you have the driving directions from Peachtree City??

I will really appreciate your answer !!
Thank you again!!

Fried Green Tomatoes Senoia house from Ptree City

Posted: 10 Mar 2008 6:54PM GMT
to see the Senoia house, take Hwy 74 from Peachtree City into Senoia, at Hwy 16 Turn right. Go to Broad Street (should be a convenient store on right). Turn right. Once you cross the tracks immediately turn right on Travis. That will take you to a stop sign at Bridge St. You are there. The house is on the left and the bridge and tracks that Buddy died on are there. The bridge is not made to be driven over; blocked off, and the tracks are no longer in use there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions