In your Clark research have you encountered the family of:
SAMUEL CLARK born 1740/41 in Bedford, Westchester Co., NY, died Feb 17, 1823 in Malta, Saratoga Co., NY,
married to ELIZABETH FOWLER also born in Westchester Co. NY? They probably had a lot more children than the 3 I show.
I am: Anne Halford> Earl Fender> Edith Downing> Mary Carpenter> Samuel Clark> Samuel Clark
Caution: The 1st 2 generations below are from FamilySearch.org and not confirmed by documentation, family records, or on-site research.
Descendants of Nathan CLARK (1666 - 1726)
Generation No. 1
1. NATHAN2 CLARK (WILLIAM1) was born 1666 in Stamford, Fairfield, CT, and died Apr 29, 1726 in Bedford, Westchester, NY. He married (1) CLEMENCE MILLS 1697 in New York. He married (2) WIFE (MARY?) 1710 in Bedford, Westchester, NY.
Child of NATHAN CLARK is:
.....2. i. Jeheil3 CLARK, b. Bet. 1711 - 1712, Bedford, Westchester, New York; d. 1775, Newburgh, Ulster, NY.
Generation No. 2
2. JEHEIL3 CLARK (NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Bet. 1711 - 1712 in Bedford, Westchester, New York, and died 1775 in Newburgh, Ulster, NY. He married LYDIA? _____ Abt. 1740 in Bedford, Westchester, NY. She was born Abt. 1714 in ?Bedford, Westchester, NY.
Notes for JEHEIL CLARK: Mother may be Clemence Mills or unknown 2nd wife of Nathan Clark
Children of JEHEIL CLARK and LYDIA are:
.....3. i. Samuel4 CLARK, b. Feb 17, 1740/41 (note 1), Bedford, Westchester, New York; d. Feb 17, 1823, Malta, Saratoga, New York.
........ii. Julia Clark, b. Abt. 1744, Newburg, , Ulster NY.
........iii. Kathy Clark, b. Abt. 1748, Newburg, , Ulster NY.
........iv. Daniel Clark, b. Abt. 1750, Newburg, , Ulster NY; d. Jan 20, 1809.
.........v. Lewis Clark, b. Abt. 1752, Newburg, , Ulster NY.
........vi. Jeheil Clark, b. Abt. 1754, Newburg, , Ulster NY.
.......vii. James Clark, b. Abt. 1756, Newburg, , Ulster NY; d. 1841.
Generation No. 3
3. SAMUEL4 CLARK (JEHEIL3, NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Feb 17, 1740/41 (note 1), in Bedford, Westchester, New York, and died Feb 17, 1823 in Malta, Saratoga, New York. He married ELIZABETH FOWLER 1763 in Newburgh, New York, daughter of SAMUEL FOWLER and CHARLOTTE PURDY. She was born Jan 1, 1743/44 in Eastchester, Westchester, NY, and died Jul 16, 1818 in Malta, Saratoga, New York.
More About SAMUEL CLARK: Burial: Malta, Saratoga, New York
More About ELIZABETH FOWLER: Burial: Malta, Saratoga, New York
Children of SAMUEL CLARK and ELIZABETH FOWLER are:
.........i. Charlotte5 Clark, b. Aft. 1763.
.....4. ii. Samuel CLARK, b. Apr 11, 1768, NY; d. Oct 6, 1845, Burnt Hills, NY.
.........iii. Martha Clark, b. 1786; d. 1854; m. Stephen Valentine; b. 1784; d. 1854.
Generation No. 4
4. SAMUEL5 CLARK (SAMUEL4, JEHEIL3, NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Apr 11, 1768 in NY, and died Oct 6, 1845 in Burnt Hills, NY. He married MARY WAKEMAN, daughter of STEPHEN WAKEMAN and MARY ADAMS. She was born Sep 20, 1769 in ?, of Fairfield CT, and died Jun 1, 1846 in Prob. NY.
Notes for SAMUEL CLARK: Source of some children data: Jann Anderson
1800 census shows the family with 4 daughters and 1 son under 10.
More About SAMUEL CLARK: Burial: Burnt Hills Bapt. Ch. Cem. (now Hillside) Saratoga Co. NY
Residence: 1800, Stillwater Twp, Saratoga Co. NY
More About MARY WAKEMAN: Burial: Burnt Hills Bapt. Ch. Cem. (now Hillside) Saratoga Co. NY
Children of SAMUEL CLARK and MARY WAKEMAN are:
...........i. Clarissa6 Clark, b. Abt. 1791; d. prob young.
......5. ii. Stephen A Clark, b. Abt. 1793.
..........iii. Catherine Clark, b. Abt. 1795; m. John Copeland.
......6. iv. Salome Clark, b. Abt. 1798, NY.
..........v. Juliet Clark, b. Abt. 1799; m. Thomas Carpenter.
..........vi. Harriet Clark, b. 1801; d. Aug 14, 1839.
......7. vii. Samuel W Clark, b. Feb 1, 1805; d. Oct 9, 1838, Saratoga NY.
......8. viii. Mary CLARK, b. Jun 6, 1806, STB Northampton or , ,Saratoga NY; d. Aug 26, 1846, Saratoga Co. NY.
..........ix. Clarissa Clark, b. Abt. 1808; d. May 25, 1901, Orion MI; m. (1) John Wood; b. Bef. 1815; m. (2) William DePuy.
...........x. Direnda Clark, b. 1814; d. Feb 24, 1836.
...........xi. Eliza Ellen Clark, b. 1817.
Generation No. 5
5. STEPHEN A6 CLARK (SAMUEL5, SAMUEL4, JEHEIL3, NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1793. He married (1) PARMELA FAY. She was born Aft. 1790. He married (2) SARAH PHILLIPS. She was born Aft. 1790.
Children of STEPHEN CLARK and PARMELA FAY are:
..........i. Samuel T?7 Clark, b. Abt. Sep 1830; d. Jan 26, 1832, Saratoga Co. NY.
More About Samuel T? Clark:Burial: Burnt Bills Baptist Cem, Saratoga, NY
.........ii. Helen T. Clark, b. Abt. Aug 4, 1832 (note 2).
6. SALOME6 CLARK (SAMUEL5, SAMUEL4, JEHEIL3, NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1798 in NY. She married ASA BUEL in NY. He was born Feb 17, 1797 in Amsterdam, Montgomery, New York, and died Apr 15, 1866 in Broadalbin, Fulton, New York.
More About ASA BUEL:Occupation: 1850, Farmer
Children of SALOME CLARK and ASA BUEL are:
..........i. Samuel Wakeman7 Buel, b. Abt. 1828, NY.
.........ii. Chloe Ann Buel, b. Abt. 1831, Broadalbin, Fulton,NY. m. Harvey MARKHAM b: 31 Oct 1821
.........iii. Mary Helen Buel, b. Abt. 1834, NY. Notes for Mary Helen Buel: aka name 1860, Helen M Buel
.........iv. Owen Buel, b. Abt. 1837.
7. SAMUEL W6 CLARK (SAMUEL5, SAMUEL4, JEHEIL3, NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Feb 1, 1805, and died Oct 9, 1838 in Saratoga NY. He married ELIZA CLARK.
Notes for SAMUEL W CLARK: wife said to be Ann E Pease
Children of SAMUEL CLARK and ELIZA CLARK are:
..........i. James M7 Clark, b. Abt. Jan 17, 1836; d. Dec 6, 1838, Saratoga Co., NY. More About James M Clark: Burial: Burnt Bills Baptist Cem, Saratoga, NY
..........ii. Theresa E. Clark, b. Abt. Jul 20, 1837 (note 2).
8. MARY6 CLARK (SAMUEL5, SAMUEL4, JEHEIL3, NATHAN2, WILLIAM1) was born Jun 6, 1806 in STB Northampton or , ,Saratoga NY, and died Aug 26, 1846 in Saratoga Co. NY. She married SANDS COE CARPENTER Abt. 1842 in Port Huron MI - why?, son of JOHN CARPENTER and HANNAH BABCOCK. He was born Abt. 1816 in Manlius or Fayetteville NY, and died probably after 1894. Last known residence in northern Michigan
More About MARY CLARK: Burial: Burnt Hills Baptist Cem. (now Hillside) Sec. 1
Children of MARY CLARK and SANDS CARPENTER are:
........i. Clarissa Wakeman7 Carpenter, b. Abt. 1842, Rexford Flats N.Y.; d. 1885; m. Alonzo Knight; b. Abt. 1832, NY.
........ii. Mary Eliza CARPENTER, b. Nov 14, 1844, Northampton, Fulton Co., NY; d. May 30, 1917, Carlton Twp Barry Co MI; m. Anson Josiah DOWNING, Jun 27, 1866, Broadalbin, Fulton Co., New York; b. Aug 13, 1843, Troy, Rensselaer Co., NY?(note 4); d. Jun 2, 1917, Carlton Twp Barry Co MI (5) son of James Madison DOWNING and Malinda Arvilla ROBINSON
Notes for Mary Eliza CARPENTER:
I suspected that Mary and Clarissa Carpenter were cared for by Aunt Eliza Clark after their mother died when the children were tiny.
Mary is shown in both the 1850 & 1860 census living with her Aunt Salome Buel
More About Mary Eliza CARPENTER: Burial: Freemire Cemetery, Sunfield Twsp, Eaton Co., MI
Notes for Anson Josiah DOWNING: Burial: Jun 4, 1917, Freemire Cemetery, Sunfield Twsp, Eaton Co., MI
Military service: Downing, Anson J., Private NY age 21, enlisted 08/12/64 at Northampton, NY Civil War Army of the Potomac
4th Regiment, NY Hvy Artillery
Residence: Moved from NY to Sunfield Eaton Co., MI in 1867. They lived in Sunfield Township until after he retired. Then they spent their final years in Carlton Twp. near Hastings, Barry Co. MI 5
........iii. Samuel Clark Carpenter, b. Abt. 1845, NY; m. (1) Ora J Fellows, May 19, 1874; m. (2) Sarah _______6, Bef. 1880; b. Abt. 1852, MI, parents from PA.
Notes for Samuel Clark Carpenter: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...
See this site for descendents
1. Since birth and death dates are same, was birth date calculated from age at DOD?
2. Cemetery Records, Burnt Hills Baptist Church Cemetery (now Hillside) Saratoga Co. NY, Calculated from DOD.
4. Ann Cochrane Gregath, The Downings of Europe and America, 1273 - 1973, (circa 1974), 365.
5. Halford-Fender.FTW, Date of Import: Jan 14, 2002.
6. 1900 U.S. Census records, Union Twp. Branch Co MI.