Search for content in message boards

old buffalo cem

old buffalo cem

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 11:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone give me directions to the old buffalo cem I will be in the area sat. apr 9 was hoping to look for the grave of m.f.tunstall.

Re: old buffalo cem

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 1:23PM GMT
From US Highway 62 between Flippin and Cotter turn south on Arkansas Highway 101 and basically go to the end of the road. I think Highway 101 basically ends and the road continues as Marion County Road 6064. Mrs. Geneva Hurst is listed as living at 11296 MC Road 6064, and the cemetery is in her pasture a short distance from her home.

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 6:56PM GMT
The Old Buffalo Cemetery is on the farm of Baxter Hurst. Mrs. Baxter Hurst (Geneva) still lives on the farm. The farm is located on the White River, west side, near the site of Old Buffalo City. Suggest you contact Geneva and she or her son can help you gain access. The cemetery is grown up but there was a stone for M. F. Tunstall the last time I was there.
On Hwy 62/412 between Cotter and Flippin Arkansas, state hwy 101 turns southeast. The farm is near the end of that road, maybe 10 miles. The road is fine, although not great. Call Mrs Geneva Hurst at 870-453-2624.
Don

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Reeme
Can anyone tell me if there is a listing for this cemetery? The Marion County website does not have this cemetery on their list. I am looking for burial place of my ancestor John M. Reeme and 2nd wife Mary Reeme, who died in 1860s after Civil War. John was killed by a bushwacker and Mary died not long after. I have checked all available cemetery lists and cannot find them. Their graves may have been destroyed or perhaps not moved with others that were re-located.

Thanks,
Doris

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 1:40PM GMT
There is not a marked Reeme grave in the Old Buffalo Cemetery. The best listing of marked graves in Marion County is the Lester and Marian Burnes Cemeteries of Marion County book that was published in 1989, and there is not a Reeme entry shown in any of the cemeteries listed in that book. Most of the old cemeteries in the area have numerous graves that are marked with nothing but a fieldstone without any inscription, and in innumerable cases, even the fieldstones have disappeared.

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Reeme
Thank you for checking these lists. It was very helpful. I have suspected for sometime that these graves were gone or not marked. John's middle initial is not "M". His oldest son was John M. Reeme. I mis-typed that, but you said there was no Reeme at..so that answered my question.

John's grave may have been marked at one time by his widow, but hers may not have been so carefully thought about, as the story goes when she died the four youngest of her stepchildren still at home were farmed out to neighbors to raise, and their farm taken over. I don't believe Mary had any children. The youngest daughter related to her descendants, that the family who took her in treated her like a servant, and her upbringing was not pleasant.

My ancestor, the oldest son, was married and in Mississippi and served in the Civil War, was unaware of his father and stepmother's deaths until he went back and found the house gone and the family gone. The three oldest daughters were married and moved away, so apparently they were unaware of this also. I have proof most of them did connect up much later, except for one son, Joseph Reeme b. 1854 AR...I have found nothing further on him.

Thanks again. Now I will not worry so much about finding their graves, as this probably confirms there is no record. On to other mysteries!

Doris

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 2:32PM GMT
Are there any Hamiltons listed in the Buffalo Cemetery?

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 3:14PM GMT
The Old Buffalo Cemetery is a very small cemetery. There are only 18 marked graves in it, and there are not any Hamiltons. The Burns book lists Hamiltons in two Marion County Cemeteries: Robert L., Mildred E., Max, Laura E. & William J. in the Flippin Cemetery and Amanda Adeline in Anderson Flat.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 4:03PM GMT
there is a Tunstall.

and I 'm think of the top of my head my
great- Aunt Fanny (Merrel) Lafferty
was married to a Tunstall he died there
not sure if its the same one you are looking for
buried there but,
the cemetery is over grown now, you can see some graves my Great -Grand dad -is buried in the middle
just south of the barn i go clean it out some times his name was :
Burl C. Lafferty and there is a Albert Merrel
buried next to him i think it was his wife's X- brother law?
his (Burl's) wife Mary Caledonia---
was married to a William Merrel--- 1st.
the cemetery needs to be clean out real bad.

its in such a isolated area .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic