Search for content in message boards

BERRIDGE,BERIDGE,BEVERIDGE arms

BERRIDGE,BERIDGE,BEVERIDGE arms

Posted: 9 Oct 2005 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BERRIDGE, BERIDGE, BEVERIDGE
I have several occurances of these arms being associated with the above family in the same form from the 1630s to 1850s from Kibworth to St Kitts and the Bishop of St Asaphs.

Argent, a saltire engrailed between 4 escallops Or (breaking the rule of tinctures)

Although I can find these arms described after 1704 I can not find their history.

Can anyone please shed any light on them (they are similar to the Wade family arms except that their saltire is not engrailled.

Thanks

Roger

Re: BERRIDGE,BERIDGE,BEVERIDGE arms

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2005 9:04AM GMT
Hi Roger,

Burke's GA gives the arms of BERIDGE as Argent a Saltire engrailedbetween four Escallops Sable and another as AQrgent a Saltire engrailled between four Escutcheons Sable.

Nothing in the name of BERRIDGE.

For BEVERIDGE there are three records:
1. Vert in point Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure two Beavers rampant combattant Or [Kent, Sussex and Normaqndy]
2. Per Pale Gules and Vert a Lion rampant Argent.
3. Vert a Lion rampant Argent [Scotland].

There are no WADE arms recorded that have an Argent field with a Saltire Or, the nearest in description being Azure a Saltire between four Escallopps Or [Hampstead, Middx. and Kilnsey, Yorks.].

There are no records of any of the above names (with anything like those arms) in the Supplement to Burke's GA or in Morant's General Armory Two.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

To which Bishop of St Asaphs were you referring as Bishops normally impale their arms with those of their See. If you can give me his name, I might be able to find something for you. For info, the arms of the See of St. Asaph are Sable two Keys in Saltire endorsed Argent
per page

Find a board about a specific topic