Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Recent trees VANISHED!

FTM 2012 Recent trees VANISHED!

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 11:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 9:19PM GMT
My current trees in Family Tree Maker 2012 have all VANISHED! I did not delete them,FTM 2012 did. Has anyone else had FTM trees vanish?

I am a long-time user of FTM in man upgrades versions for about 10 years. I had Synchronized with Ancestry.com on the main tree with 4,385 records. That is still there. Ironically the older family tree files remained on FTM 2012!

A friend who also uses FTM (I do not know which year version) had ALL OF HIS NOTES AND CITATIONS for about 7,000 people VANISH.

I therefore have no confidence in FTM 2012. [CONFIDENCE IN FTM 2012 IS BASICALLY RESTORED AND THE MISSING FILES WERE FOUND USING *.ftm - PLEASE FOLLOW THIS THREAD FOR SOME WISE ANSWERS. - CMS 2012-10-07]

Re: FTM 2012 Recent trees VANISHED!

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 11:42PM GMT
Do you mean 4385 people, instead of records? I see a tree with 4385 people, but only 18 records.

What, exactly, are you missing? Trees on ancestry or files in FTM?

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:05AM GMT
I am missing the tree on FTM. A copy survives on Ancestry.com and I have copied it on GEDCOM.

The primary concern of course is the dissapearance of several trees from my FTM 2012.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:28AM GMT
Help us understand "missing," so we may be able to help you find them.

Are the specific trees shown in the list of trees in the right-hand panel of the workspace?

Or when you try to access do you receive a message that the tree is not sync-ed?

Have you looked for the relevant *.ftm file(s) on your hard drive?

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 1:00AM GMT
Have you tried opening ftm, going to file>open and looking for the missing file, and opening from there, if it exists?

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 8:05AM GMT
Thank you very much for responding and offering to help. It is much appreciated!!

In the "Trees" box in the upper right corner of Family Tree Maker, the old file from 2011 was there, but several trees created in 2012 had vanished.

The missing trees were also missing from the .ftw files.

Following your suggestion I looked in *.ftm and the files appear to be there but they are no longer in the Trees menu. I shall try to "revive" them.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 11:14AM GMT
Your trees have not vanished, they are safe and sound on your hard drive.

All that appears to have happened is that the list of trees link has broken between FTM and your folder that holds your files.

All you have to do, like any other program, is do a File>Open in FTM and navigate to where you have your trees stored on your hard drive.

If you don't know where they are, then use the Windows Search and search for *.FTM. That will produce a list of them.

Using File>Open will also relink them to the recent tree list in FTM

Really, it is not rocket science, just basic Windows file management.

John D

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:54PM GMT
Unfortunately, the file can be gone. This happened to me last week. 18 years of research completely gone. Had to go to the previous day's backup.

Regards,

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 12:14AM GMT
The three core rules of computer genealogy are Backup, backup and backup!!

And don't rely on FTM's so called auto backup. It is being backed up to the same hard drive. So when it fails (and it is an when not an if) then you have lost everything.

Have a backup strategy and follow it. Backup up to alternative media outside your computer. Don't keep the backups in the same place as your computer. Fire, floods, theft etc can and do occur.

It is a waste of time posting to this list, or any other list, saying you have lost your files and you don't have effective backups.

Most people spend years in family history and it is short sighted to say the least not to effectively protect your data. This applies to other key data like photos, records, etc.

Ask yourself the question if I lost my computer tomorrow how would I restore my data to a new computer?

John D

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 12:19AM GMT
As you note from my message, I reverted to my 1 day old automatic backup (on a separate hard drive ran by an automatic backup service outside from FTM.)

Files do get deleted for all kinds of reasons.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic