Search for content in message boards

Educational DVD's badly needed

Educational DVD's badly needed

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
FTM 16 is the best genealogy software ever made. Now, I'm forced into 2011/12 and after uploading my 4 families I am absolutely lost on how this program works. It is impossible for me to navigate. It makes no logical sense.

Does anyone know of any educational programs specific to FTM 2011? that I can purchase. Or, alternatively, anyone live around brighton Mich. that would like to earn a few bucks??

thanks

brian

Re: Educational DVD's badly needed

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:11AM GMT
Brian,
Check out http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5219/kw... for a bunch of "Help" and educational stuff for Family Tree Maker.

Barbara

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:19AM GMT
There is also a PDF Companion Guide on the FTM CD.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 1:27AM GMT
you guys need to get with the times! 2012 is SO EASY! there youtube videos that help educate you on the program and help you learn it step-by-step.

As i tell my mom : your NOT gonna break your computer! click around on EVERYTHING!!!

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 1:30AM GMT
Maybe so, but I'm 3 times your age

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 2:52AM GMT
Hmmm... that means you are between 90 and 117-right?

;)

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 2:58AM GMT
Different people have different learning needs. That's why there are so many different ways to teach and so many different ways to learn.
What works for one person doesn't work for another person, since we are different and unique in our own special way.
Often, what someone needs is a few basic clues to get them oriented, then they can go from there, especially when going from a product they know to a product they don't know.
A little bit of kindness and compassion can go go a long way :)

Barbara

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:17AM GMT
Have you looked at the built in tutorials in FTM and also have a look at the online webinars?

See the following links
Webinars
(mouse down until you find the FTM ones)
http://www.ancestry.com/cs/us/videos

FTM Tutorials (excellent for new users also in FTM for Windows program Help but not in the Mac version)
http://www.familytreemaker.com/Learn/Tutorials

John D

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:21AM GMT
Well said Barbara. I personally prefer to read instructions, rather than have a video. We all absorb in our individual ways, depending on personal preferences, level of expertise, age, eyesight, etc.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:17PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2012 4:18PM GMT
i know but I work at a retirement community and I give lots of computer lessons all the time. Most of the time "older folks" are scared they are going to break the computer or click on something wrong.

2012 has LOTS of neat things you can do that make genealogy so much easier and faster than I think lots of you guys are doing.

I think there's a step by step manuel if you go the "HELP" and on youtube they have so many neat and nicew videos that tell you neat things that you can do Step by step.

JUST HAVE FUN!!! and you will get the hang of it! :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic