Search for content in message boards

Shaky leaf hints can't be ignored because I dont have a US subscription

Shaky leaf hints can't be ignored because I dont have a US subscription

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 2:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have FTM 2012 and an UK Heritage subscription.

One person in my tree (not linked) was born in Askern, Doncaster, Yorkshire, England.

The shaky leaf for her shows 8 hints - all of them US Directory records. There is also a message in the lower right pane saying I am missing out - log in or sign up.

My Ancestry log in doesn't work for these US hints and I can't ignore them... so my ancestor permanently shows 8 hints - none of which are relevant.

I clicked on the New Search button which took me to Ancestry and found the relevant UK records right away but still have the shaky leaf pointing to the 8 erroneous hints in FTM.

Any ideas how to ignore hints without being able to access them due to a lack of subscription?
Should the hints even be available in the search results if I don't have a subscription to those records?

Re: Shaky leaf hints can't be ignored because I dont have a US subscription

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 5:23AM GMT
Yes, the hints appear in search results without regard to your subscription. You can, however, limit those by ticking the various options at the bottom of the advanced search page.

As far as the hints pointing to record collections to which you do not subscribe, I think that's by design--a design that is potentially beneficial both to the user and to Ancestry: beneficial to you because you might not have known about such-and-such a record--and beneficial to them because you might pay the extra $$$ to look at the record.

To answer your question, no, I do not know of any way to *hide* hints to records in collections to which you do not subscribe. I don't think that's possible.

Note that I wrote *hide* rather than "ignore", which was the word you used. You can ignore the link--which will stop making it appear--but clicking on the ignore link.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 12:24PM GMT
Thanks for taking the time to reply Marco

Limit the results by ticking various options:
I have English only ticked but still get the US Directory results and none for the UK.

You can ignore the link:
No I can't - that is exactly what I am trying to achieve (without success).
The merge and ignore buttons are greyed out because I don't have the required US subscription.

So I have a permanent shaky leaf pointing to the same 8 US records no matter what other data is recorded for the person. Her birth, marriage and death are all clearly stated as having occurred in England, along with the birth of her children.

So why is Ancestry still pointing to US records?
Maybe the surname WASHINGTON over rides all other options where US results are concerned!
(no, she isn't related to THAT Washington at all)

I am almost ready to give the shaky leaf up altogether, for all people in my tree, as it seems to be consistently pointing to irrelevant data rather than offer helpful suggestions.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 3:31PM GMT
I believe I was able to recreate this on my end. I think you're out of luck short of a change in the software. The ignore button isn't enabled when you don't have a subscription to the "hinted" record.

As for the search results, that seems to work pretty well for me excluding non-American. Can you verify that you have collection priority = "UK and Irish" and "Show only records from these collections" = Yes (ticked)? If you're still seeing American records with those settings, you might have stumbled onto a bug.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 4:01PM GMT
Can I set search priority like that in FTM 2012 itself?

When I click on the "more results" button in the results pane the usual Ancestry search box comes up.
I know I definetly have that set for Priority "English" tick in 'show only records from these collections.
Is that the same setting FTM uses by default?

Using the search box after clicking "more results" or "new search" (or "web search" from the Plan page)I do get UK results for Miss Washington rather than US ones.

I have had a couple of other people's results give me the same problem but it is one or two results every now and then amongst a heap of UK results.

Gladys is the only one giving me 8 US results and none from the UK (although I have entered a lot of sources for her since posting). I still can't get rid of the shaky leaf because of the US results . I still suspect her surname is the main reason it is being such a pain in the you-know-what ;-)

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 4:29PM GMT
"Can I set search priority like that in FTM 2012 itself?"

If by that you mean in "options", no. You set it in the web browser plug-in that is the Search workspace that we've been discussing. Unfortunately, this just affects your search results, not the "hints" that take the form of those leaves.

Note: there is an option not only for "English" but a broader one for "UK and Irish", which you might try if the English doesn't seem to be working properly.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic