Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 - Online person notes have disappeared

FTM 2012 - Online person notes have disappeared

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
My person notes are all marked as private, but they were formerly visible (to me) in my synced online tree. The notes are still intact in my computer tree, but they seem to have disappeared from the online version. I am signed into Ancestry.com and am the owner of the tree. When I go to the Edit Person options and click on the Notes tab, nothing is there. Any idea what is happening here and how I can get the notes back for online editing? Thanks for any suggestions...
Anne

Re: FTM 2012 - Online person notes have disappeared

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 5:15AM GMT
I haven't tested this, but it sounds like they might have hidden private notes from editors and forgot to leave them visible to owners.

It's always good to have a dummy-test tree on hand to test stuff like this.

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 11:33PM GMT
Still can't view or edit notes in my Ancestry online tree like I did in the past. Is there a fix for this? It's frustrating.
Anne

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 12:25AM GMT
Is it working for you yet? I have a tree with notes for some people that I uploaded a few weeks ago. I can see and edit the notes. I have it in Private Tree mode but switched to Public Tree mode and I can still see and edit the notes.

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 2:35AM GMT
Why don't you download a copy of your tree as a GEDCOM and have a look at it to see if the notes are actually there?

This will clarify if the notes have really disappeared or are hidden

John D

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 3:39AM GMT
I just absorbed that Anne said the notes were marked as private so changed one of my notes to private and re-syched. Anne is right. As an owner I cannot see the note that was marked private.

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 12:29PM GMT
Nice to know that someone else is experiencing the same problem and hope there's a solution out there somewhere. My FTM 2012 tree went online in February and the notes were clearly visible (to me as owner) and able to be edited, even though marked as private. The notes disappeared from the Ancestry online tree about a month or so ago and I think it was before the update, so can't blame that. The notes are intact in my FTM tree on my computer. Both trees are supposed to be synced. What happened? And how do I get the notes to reappear in the online tree?

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 6:29PM GMT
Have you looked to see if your notes in FTM have been marked private?

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 7:38PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2012 7:39PM GMT
Yes, as I stated in my first post, my notes are marked as private. But that didn't make any difference until about a month ago. Previously, even though the notes were private, they were there for me, the owner of the tree, to edit online.

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2012 7:53PM GMT
I suspect the ability to mark media private and not have it sync and the ability to mark a particular fact type as private and not have it sync has changed the way other items which are marked private, such as notes, behave. You can report it as a bug...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions