Search for content in message boards

TreeSync getting crowded

TreeSync getting crowded

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is it just me, or is it getting increasingly "overcrowded" relative to the ancestry.co.uk server capacity? It started with the "try again in a few hours 'cos we're so popular" message on trying to sync Ancestry and FTM at around 23:00 BST. Now it's refusing to connect at 21:00 BST.

I've contacted ancestry, and apparently the program and site are NOT designed so one can make changes on one and then sync them with the other. You're supposed to store up corrections, additions and so on - which just isn't how to work out how best to proceed with the next research, I fear.

Anyone else think it's time ancestry upgraded their servers to meet subscribed (paid for) demand?

Re: TreeSync getting crowded

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 5:13AM GMT
I seem to be getting that message a lot on the U.S. side of the house.

It's hard to imagine why you'd be getting that message at 23:00 BST. Perhaps the family historians and genealogists in your country are all night owls? ;)

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 9:57AM GMT
I am, but didn't think the rest were!

Thanks for the confirmation that it's a lack of general Ancestry capacity, both sides of the pond.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 3:16PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2012 3:39PM GMT
Ann [another user who posted on this error in another thread] says this message has been around for a while, but I've not seen it personally until after the most recent patch, and I've been getting it a lot. Annoying.

I found it quite curious that you might regularly be seeing this message at 23:00 BST. That's 18:00 (GMT-4) along the U.S. east coast. Coincidence? That made me check this: http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=w...

[Edit: clarified who the "Ann" I mentioned was. When I wrote this reply, I mistakenly thought that she had posted in *this* thread.]

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 3:33PM GMT
Actually as far as I know, there is only one set of servers and that is in the USA.

It should be borne in mind that all this syncing is messing up the general usage of the site, time-outs, slow performance and general errors have become endemic since tree sync.

Will the new yet to be determined owners do anything is the question.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 10:05AM GMT
Interesting, thanks. If we're all trying to feed from the same trough, and there are 2 million of us, no wonder it's "getting crowded"!

I confess to having lost track of who bought, sold, merged and so in the history of Ancestry, and failed to grasp exactly what the prolonged most recent sale (?capital raising) exercise is actually about, but do wish they'd get it sorted and return their attention to the actual service!

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 3:23PM GMT
Bearing in mind that you need FTM 2012/FTMM2 to sync, I suspect the problem is caused by a few hundred thousand people. I haven't seen any sales figures, but I did see a figure for FTM2011 of around a quarter of a million. Not all subscribers have a Public Member Tree and not all subscribers use/are able to use Family Tree Maker. I seem to recall though that you don't need to subscribe to have a PMT and can therefore contribute to the problem whilst apying nothing towards the infra structure.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 11:35PM GMT
Tony,

In 2010 a group visiting Prove was told that Ancestry was working on a duplicate site to serve as an emergency backup site so I believe that there are two individual sites but both are in the US.

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:15AM GMT
A telephone discussion with "ancestry.co.uk" last evening, following a system crash which was apparently global, confirmed that there is no difference between ancestry.com and any other ancestry site - hence the global nature of the failure.

This suggests the duplicate backup hasn't yet been fully set up?

Whilst also discussing the slowness of late, I was again told that it isn't ancestry's fault, but the fault of your browser; their advice is to increase the Firefox cache to 300MB (huh?!) and repeatedly (manually) delete the contents of both IE and Firefox caches.

Blaming some other software or whatever is, of course, as old an excuse as the internet!

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 10:13AM GMT
I don't know about the PC version, but with the MacOS version cache management is automated, but offers the option to disable this so that you can reduce the allocation.
My programmer son almost fell off his chair with laughter when I told him the proposed solution.
I have five months left of my subscription, although it will cost me more, I am afraid that when it is due for renewal I may well after years of Ancestry switch to findmypast.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic