Search for content in message boards

Corrupted Source

Corrupted Source

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 11:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
I crashed when trying to access the source title for the source 1880 US Federal Census. I reopened and compacted the file. I tested other source titles and the 1880 US Census is the only one that crashed when selected.

So I listed the sources by person in the source tab. It is a file I've created for someone else so it is relatively small (350 people). I could select the 1880 Census source citation for all but one person without crashing. So I've identified the exact source citation causing the crash. I deleted the associated media file through the media tab.

I even tried deleting all people linked to that citatation. Nothing works.

I went to a backup file from about a week ago and it has the same problem. It was just something that wasn't noticeable until going to that source to try to edit.

Any other ideas why this happened and how to resolve it?

Re: Corrupted Source

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 11:30AM GMT
BTW...it is FTM 2012 that I'm using.

Since I really only used basic fields in FTM that could be translated to GEDCOM, I ended up exporting the file to a GEDCOM and then use the GEDCOM file to create an FTM2012 file. I'm lucky it was a small file that I was creating for someone else rather than my own family file which is much larger. Makes me nervous though that something like this will happen to my much larger file. Backups are important but if the issue isn't noticeable until down the road, than a lot of work is potentially lost.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 1:23PM GMT
I am beginning to wonder if this is a sync created problem. I checked my main big FTM file that I've been working on for years and updated regularly in since getting FTM 2012. There are no obvious source corruption problems. I've never uploaded that file to Ancestry online.

The file I'm having problems with was one I started a few weeks ago, uploaded and have been synching with changes made in FTM2012 daily. I got an idea to try to delete those troubled citations from the online version and synch. The synch report shows they were deleted but they still exist in FTM2012.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 1:23PM GMT
Did you try accessing the citation through a workspace other than Sources?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic