Search for content in message boards

Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas

Sue Howard (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2003 9:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thomas
Looking for information on my great, great grandfather, Stephen Thomas and his wife, Jane ? I assume they were born in the early 1800's or maybe the late 1700's, since they had children in the 1830's. I was told that they were from North Carolina and they moved all the way down to Harris County, Georgia. They were there for awhile before moving on over to Coosa Co., Alabama. Stephen was later murdered because they thought he was harboring deserters from the Civil War. Any Thomas researchers out there? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sue Howard

Re: Stephen Thomas

Posted: 7 May 2003 10:27PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2003 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Evans, Jones, Chandler,
My sister and I have been looking for the parents of Stephen Thomas for years , and the last name of Jane. We found them in Chatham and Anson, North Carolina in the early 1800's, before they moved to Harris County, Ga. We also found them in Harris County before they moved to Coosa. One or two Thomas children stayed in Harris. We know much about them in Coosa, but would love to discover the birth records of Jane and Stephen Thomas. We do feel they are probably related to the Maryland Thomas family, but we have no proof. It was such a large family.

Our ggg grandfather was Stephen Thomas. His daughter, Mary Russell Thomas, married our gg grandfather, Robert Evans. After Robert's death in the Civil War, Mary Russell Thomas Evans married Archibald "Archie" Payton in Coosa, Al. We have many of the marriages and children of Thomas family. We also have much Evans family information.

Sue Howard (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2003 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas/Gilbert/Johnson/Brown/Clark/Winfield/Strickland/Braswell
Hi, Diane. You were kind enough to send your information to my cousin, Greg Gilbert, awhile back, and then he sent it to me. But I thought that if I put another query on line, that maybe I would stir something up with someone else who was related to the same group of Thomases. You're probably wondering how Stephen Thomas could have only been my 2nd great grandfather. Well, his son, John Q. Thomas, was my great grandfather, and his oldest daughter, Susan A. Thomas, was my grandmother (she was born in 1850). She married John F. Gilbert in 1869 and proceeded to have a very large family, one of the younger ones being my mother, who was born in 1890. Then my mother and father had nine children, and I am the youngest of the family, born in 1936. My mother was 46 years old and my father was 51, when I was born. Amazing, isn't it! My grandmother, Susan, lived in my parents' home when I was a small child and she lived to be 94 years old. She died in 1944 when I was 8 years old. Oh, if I had only known to ask about her parents and grandparents, and to think that she actually lived during Abraham Lincoln's time! Oh, well, too late for that now. I never even asked my mother too many questions about the family while she was still alive. Please keep me in mind if you find out more about Stephen Thomas and Jane Thomas. I now live in New Hampshire, although I was born and raised in Clarksdale, Mississippi, so it's rather difficult to get any information up here on my Southern ancestors. Would love to hear from you again.
Your "cousin",
Sue Howard

Posted: 8 May 2003 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Devaughn, Evans, Chandler, Jones,
Hi Sue,

You are the same age as my sister, Barbara. I was born in January, 1942. My sister, Dot, who was born in 1926 , died of cancer five years ago. My sister, Elaine, was born in 1930. We are the two remaining genealogy fans in the family. My brother, Charles, was born in 1943.

I enjoy reading your information. We have quite a number of genealogical records and data on Stephen Thomas, but I really would love to know Jane Thomas' maiden name. I continue to search for it. I also wish I could find out Stephen Thomas' father and mother.

It is very interesting that you were a late-age pregnancy. Very few people have that history. I am sure it makes you even more anxious to find some information.

If I found out anything new, I will let you know. My sister and I go to the Archives quite often. Plus, my sister has made quite a few trips to Alabama over the years. You never know what might show up.

Please, write again if you discover anything new.

Diane

Stephen Thomas

Sue Howard (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas/Brown/Gilbert/Johnson/Winfield/Clark/Strickland
Diane, I have just been looking at a copy of two pages from "Roster of North Carolina Soldiers in the American Revolution". I was looking for something else, when I saw the name, Stephen Thomas, Private. Do you supposed this was our Stephen's father, by any chance? I know it's probably a rather common name, but just wondering what you think about it. Whoever sent this to me (my memory fails me now), wrote at the top of the two pages: Appeared on State Records Vol. XVII of the Reg of N. C. commanded by Col. Samuel Jarvis, page 1060. Payroll Capt. Wm. Brinkleys Co." Let me hear from you when you get a chance, please.
Sue Howard

Posted: 18 Oct 2003 6:25PM GMT
I have seen the roster you are talking about. There were several generations and families with Stephen Thomas in North Carolinal. Our Stephen Thomas was in the 1820 Chatham County, NC, census and in another county, in North Carolina, too. I have often wondered if his father might have been a Stephen, also. I have always felt our Stephen was apart of the big Thomas family that went from Maryland to North Carolina, and spread to other southern states. There is a good genealogy of this family on the internet, but I have found no direct connection. I think it is important to find out what Jane Thomas' maiden name was. If you ever find out, please, let us know. There were Caders, Carneys, and Thomases in what was Bertie, NC. Many of them moved westward, but they intermarried, which makes me wonder about the names in our family , Cader Thomas, Carney Thomas, etc. What do you think?

Thanks,
Diane

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 6:35PM GMT
This is also my ancestor. Stephen's daughter, Mary Russell Thomas married my G-G grandfather, Robert Evans. I have all the information available in Georgia and Alabama, including book accounts of Stephens' murder and intestate records when he died. His wife is listed only as Jane H. He was recently married when the 1820 census was made, living in Chatham Co., NC. In 1830, he is on the census records of Randolph Co.,NC and in Harris Co.,Ga. by 1840. 1798 is about the right birth year. I have not been able to find his parents because there are so many Stephen Thomas's in NC. Have you had any responses to your inquery? Please share if you have.

Posted: 5 Mar 2007 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: thomas
i am trying link my thomas' from NC. john tapley thomas stated on GA & AL census records that he was born in 1808 NC. he married sarah thomas in 1831 jackson co GA and they may have been cousins. he is reputed to be the son of bradley thomas & martha patsey key but have found no documented evidence of this. as your thomas, mine left NC to GA and then settled in AL. john tapley thomas died in lamar co AL in 1897.

Posted: 5 Mar 2007 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: thomas
i saw your remarks about thomas's in anson & chatham co's. i have been trying to link john tapley thomas/sarah thomas to bradley thomas/martha patsey key. bradleys father was evan thomas who owned land (and lost land) in anson and chatham co's in the late 1700's. john tapley thomas states on AL & GA census records that he was born 1808 in NC but have found no record of that. john is reputed to be son of bradley & patsey but sarah may be as john & sarah may be cousins. john and sarah married in 1831 jackson co GA and bradley married patsey key in 1806 jackson co GA. hopefully some of your thomas' connect.

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas - Gillespie - Kelly
I am justgetting back into my own search after an absence od several years. My great grandmother was Emily Catherine Thomas, daughter of Stephen. She married Henry Gillespie, who died at Petersburg, then after the Civil War, married Henry;s brother, David Anderson. They lived in Coosa County,Alabama. Emily is buried in cChilton County, near Clanton. If you are still out there looking, I'd like to connect.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic