Search for content in message boards

Hugh Dhu

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 1:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dhu, Lyon, Kent, Gardiner
I have a Hugh Dhu who was last noted on the 1928 Electoral Roll as a miner in Wilsons River, Tasmania. Has anyone any details on his death please. I am hoping that he is the child of John Dhu (Dow, Doe) and Bridget Corbett.

Re: Hugh Dhu

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 4:13AM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2012 4:14AM GMT

There are several newspaper articles involving the Dhu family on the west coast, including civil action 1905 involving Hugh, sister in law Mary (wife of Roderick), and Alice (wife of Hugh).

Zeehan and Dundas Herald 11 Aug 1905
between Mary Dhu and Hugh Dhu, concerning money owing..Mary is wife of Hugh's brother Roderick...Hugh has wife in Hobart.

Mercury 10 Aug 1905
Alice Dhu is wife of Hugh Dhu.

Zeehan and Dundas Herald 18 May 1900
death of Joh Dhu at residence of daughter Mrs Captain Lyon, Redfern, native of Perth, Scotland, father of James and Roderick of Zeehan, in Tasmania since 1840, 80yrs.

Examiner 19 Jun 1935
death of Hugh Dhu in hut at Renison Bell..aged about 70yrs..lived in area about 40yrs..previously resided with parents near Cascade Brewery Hobart

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 9:17PM GMT
Thank you for that. The mention of this Hugh's parents is a little odd as his mother died in 1886 and father in 1900 in New South Wales.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 9:54AM GMT
Surnames: DOe Dhu
I have a file on the Dhu family as I believe that they are descended from John Doe the convict and the name was gradually misspelt. Dhu was one of the last spellings. I have recognised other Doe convicts who have died in Australia and false information has been given to cover up the past. John DOe the convict came from South Lopham in Suffolk, as did my ancestor Ephraim Doe

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 10:19PM GMT
Thanks joyenblue. Are you referring to John Doe who married Bridget Corbett in 1855. When John Doe/Dhu died in 1900 there was a refernce for the WA papers to copy but I have not been able to establish a link with the family in WA.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 11:35AM GMT
Yes, that is the John Doe to whom I am referring.The name Dhu did not come into use until 1861. Before that numerous spellings of the name were used. Write privately to joyjenblue@gmail.com for longer answers.I presume you have had some contact with May Dhu?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions