Search for content in message boards

FTM 16 / Windows 7 / PDF

FTM 16 / Windows 7 / PDF

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 2:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I try to create a PDF file from FTM 16 on a laptop running Windows 7 I get the following message. "FTM executable has stopped working". The only option is to terminate FTM. I sent a message to the FTM help desk last week and haven't heard anything from them.

I don't have a problem doing this with FTM 16 on a Windows XP PC. I like to be able to create "Direct Descendants" reports and have been told the new version will not create them. Also I have no interest in being connected to the Internet when using FTM. I do not create online trees.

Re: FTM 16 / Windows 7 / PDF

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 3:22PM GMT
Since you are running Windows 7 and mostly 64 bit, then the built in PDF printer did not get installed. Do NOT use the Share icon, but the Print icon and then select your PDF printer driver.

If you do not have a PDF driver installed, then do a google on PDF drivers and you will find many free ones.

I use CutePdf and/or PDFCreator both are free.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 1:18PM GMT
David,

Thanks. I use PDFCreator on my Windows XP PC so I installed it on my Windows 7 PC. Tested it to be sure it was working okay with a Word document.

When I tried to export a family group sheet as a PDF file it still failed with the same message.

Jim Barrett - parino@flash.net

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 2:55PM GMT
Why are you exporting?

All one needs to do is open the report, go to the "Print" icon in the upper right corner and select the PDFCreator as the pronter.

Do NOT use the Share icon, as stated before the built in PDF driver will NOT work with Windows 7. You MUST use the PRINT icon, and then select the PDF driver.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 7:10PM GMT
I was trying to export as a PDF because that is the way I have always done it before with FTM 16 and earlier versions.

I don't have a print icon on the upper right, mine is on the left and/or I can select the print function from the drop down file menu.

The important thing to me is that your suggestion got me to the point where I can now create a PDF file using FTM 16 & Windows 7.

Thank you very much.

Jim Barrett

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 12:11AM GMT
Jim:
I believe you should download one of the free PDF writers. CutePdf and PDf Creator. I use them both.

Once you start using the PDF writer you will find that it becomes your only printer. By printing the documents you want to save, creates a permanent document that can only be changed with special software. As with printing the FTM charts and reports to PDF you will have a perfectly formatted document that ANY one can open and read.

When you receive an email or find a webpage with information you want to keep, print it to a PDF file and it will be on your computer permanently.

While you can maintain a scan as a JPG, you will find that printing the image to a PDF gives you a document that is much easier to navigate, and view.

The zoom feature a lone is worth the trouble to find the PDF printer. I don't know how many times I have scanned a document and saved as PDF so I could analyses the handwriting, by zooming to maximum magnification (6400%) to differentiate writing from random marks or lines on the page.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 3:06PM GMT
Jim,
Sorry for misleading you. I no longer have a copy of Version 16 and forgot what the report screen looks like.

Yes, the "Print" where ever it is, is the one to use.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 6:51PM GMT
David,

Thanks. With your help I got it working and that is what mattered to me.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 1:59AM GMT
Since you have experience with FTM 16 and Windows 7, I have a question. I was pleasantly surprised that my FTM database loaded fine on my new Windows 7 computer. Everything seems to work OK with one exception. When I used FTM on my XP computer and wanted to add an existing source documentation, I could type in a few letters and it took me to the source. Now with Windows 7, I have to scroll down through all the sources to find what I want. I have a large database so this takes some time. Any ideas?

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 3:29PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 3:41PM GMT
RCramer1286,
I think it is the fact that "Fastfield" has a clean start and as you type things then will start working for you as it did in XP.

Make sure that you have Fastfields turned on and the items checked.

Tools, Options, General Tab, mid pane.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic