Search for content in message boards

Adding Media in FTM2011

Adding Media in FTM2011

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 7:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 7:49PM GMT
I would appreciate guidance on the best way to name census images added to media. My quandary is as follows:
I have added a census image to my media file in FTM2011. I have given the item the title (caption) 1930 US Census - Richard Ward. I want to link this media item to the three other family members who are also on the census.This results in the three other media items having the same caption (Richard Ward). Should I rename the media item under each person and what are the implications. What do other users do.

Re: Adding Media in FTM2011

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 10:09PM GMT
The trick is to attach your media item to a CITATION of a source for that census; which you in turn attach to a fact for the people involved. Then Copy and Paste Link (not paste duplicate) to each fact and each person that you want.

BTW, the latest version of FTM 2012 provides for copying facts to other members of a family from one screen.

Doing this you will only have ONE media item for each of the 16 people in your family and name, birth, and residence facts for each of the 16 persons.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 8:11AM GMT
Thank you
What I haven't quite grasped is how the media title (caption) will appear under each family member. What caption should I give the media, e.g. '1930 US Census' or 1930 US Census Richard Ward household'.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:22PM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2012 2:24PM GMT
First, have you considered using ancestry.com for your census work? Ancestry makes all those decisions for you, sets up the facts, enters the source and attaches the citation to each person, attaches the media - and names them and captions them - all automatically - you don't have to do a thing. I can tell you from years of doing census work the "old-fashioned" way - via micro-film readers - the new ancestry way is a god send. (I'm not a salesman, just a satisfied customer - with a few gripes here and there - like the citations are too wordy)

At any rate, whatever kind of a systematic way that works for you is fine. There is no "right" or "wrong" way.

FTM used to assign file names for census media "1830 United States Federal Census- 001.jpg for the first file you downloaded from that census. Then each file you added after that was 002, 003, etc. Now ancestry uses file names like "1870 United States Federal Census - John Smith.jpg" Both names drive me crazy if I were to use them as I see no need to spell out United States or even use the word Federal.

Ancestry gives a caption for the person or head of household something like "John Smith - 1830 United States Federal Census" - for the person or head of household.

Personally, I could care less what ancestry uses. Since I always access an image attached via a citation from the Person / Fact page or the Source / Citation workspace, I never use media file names or captions for citation media. They could be random numbers as far as I'm concerned. We just had a conversation on this board about persons with quite different views. Other people go to great lengths to use file names, and I presume captions, according to a system of their own devise.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 8:32PM GMT
I have had a look at your method of downloading a census image from Ancestry and linking it to all the relevant family members which certainly is very easy. What I don't like is that the media now in each family members file has been given the same caption which includes the head of household name, not their own name. I assume that I can't change this under each family member without corrupting the stored image in main media collection - or am I wrong.
Also the media (census image) has been linked to four facts, birth, name, residence and sex which seems somewhat overkill. Am I being too pedantic.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 8:51PM GMT
Well, once the media is linked to everywhere it should be you can always change the caption once to say "Bob Jones Household".

This is why I keep my census images outside FTM and tag them with the names of people on that image. The name of the image itself reflects the country, state (or county) district, etc and year.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 9:13PM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2012 9:15PM GMT
Since there is only one image, I believe you can only assign one caption to it. I don't think captions work like "tags" where you can have multiple tags to one image.

As for the facts that created/added (or merged, or discarded, at your option), I view them as mandatory, but you can refuse to bring, for example, the name, or merge it and keep the source, or discard it and discard the source, too.

In other words in three censuses for one guy you have:

John S Smith
Steven J Smith
J. S. Smith

You can, and I always do bring all of them over from ancestry and have one as primary and the others as alternative. Sometimes I have to create a primary and use "composite name from various source" as a source.

Or, you can have 3 the same in a row:

John S Smith
John S. Smith
John S Smith

You can merge one and refuse the other two (discard the merge and don't keep the source - or do keep the source, as you wish. (I would keep the source).

You have lots of choices.

The one thing that you don't have a choice over is the married name for the wives. Let's say you have her as her maiden name Mary Smith and 6 census entries with her married name as Mary Jones. I always import all of my names so that I know what a person was known by throughout their life, spelling variations and all - but you don't get the choice to merge an incomeing name to an alternative name - it has to be a primary name. So, you have to merge any duplicates of the married name manually after the merge.

Similarly, many times sex can only be guessed at by the name (ie Frances and Francis is often spelled both ways for both sexes), so I always like that Ancestry brings sex over. That is one fact that you can't discard however.

Birth is merged for the same reasons as name for me - with choices to discard and keep choices.

Residence is the one fact that you want to merge every time, so that you can see the history over a person's life of where they lived. I also add a one line synopsis of the census entry on the Residence line.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 9:35PM GMT
Many thanks for all your suggestions which give me much food for thought. I am sure I will now be able to devise a process which suits what I want and which works well.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 3:42PM GMT
Hi.
I rename/caption media according to its collection. A census image would be named/captioned as "1940 US Federal Census - North Dakota, Mountrail, Sikes, 31-47, Image 5". If the image is linjed to only one person, like military records, they get the person's name, last then first/middle appended after the collection name.

If I get a better copy of an image, I give it the same name as the file I want to replace and add a letter "a" right before the file extension. Then I move/copy it directly to the media folder, delete the old copy (without the "a") then remove the "a". FTM doesn't know the difference and all links to the file are intact.

KDB

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 6:47PM GMT
Thank you - that's a good suggestion.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions