Tree became unlinked

Tree became unlinked

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I went to sync today and got an error message:

"It appears that the online tree has been deleted"

and the only choice is to
"Confirm the unlinking of this tree to the online tree"

Of course, the online tree has not been deleted, it is visible. Do I need to, once again, delete my tree and re-upload? I prefer to go from FTM to ATM because I rename the media and downloads use random names. Also, other information gets lost.

I'm using the latest update of FTM 2012.

Anyone else get their tree unlinked? What should I do?

Re: Tree became unlinked

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:10PM GMT
before you do anything else, Close FTM and reboot your PC.
Reconnet to Ancestry and see if it has stopped being "Brain Dead". If the problem persists, call Ancestry.com to see if they can help.

Delete and redownload on ly as the last resort.
- My 2 cents worth-

Un-brain-dead

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:27PM GMT
I closed my file and opened another. Then I closed that one and opened my first file. The Sync button was greyed out. Then I closed FTM and it ran a sync. After I re-opened it (first it said that my file was in use by another process, then opened it) and sync was now available. I checked ATM and today's changes were online.

It appears to have recovered. I compacted and backed up my file right away!

Thanks

Re: Un-brain-dead

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:35PM GMT
Glad to hear that it was only a momentary glitch.

You might want to take a look at Tools/Options/General and make sure that "use caption instead of filename for media display" box is checked. Then, your renamed media files will keep the name, rather than showing with a random assigned name.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:45PM GMT
You don't need to reboot. Closing FTM 2012 and opening it up again resets the connection that FTM appears to have lost.

Report it to support@ancestry.com.

I've provided them with the Sync Diagnostic file on this one.

Rosemary

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 9:14PM GMT
Don't panic ... this seems to come up as an alternative to the 'it's getting crowded in here' message. Just back up your work, close the program and try again until the servers get their act together

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 11:05AM GMT
Hmm. When this happened to me just now, I didn't read this first. So my trees are now unlinked, and I then re-upload from FTM to ATM.

Which means that I now have TWO copies of my tree on ATM, one linked and one not, with all of my invites on the old tree and no invites on the new tree.

Is it safe to delete the old one, so that I only keep the linked tree, or is it only living in one place but with two names? I don't want to lose everything! (Needless to say, I have just backed everything up!)

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 10:26AM GMT
As you have unlinked the old tree it would be best now to work on the new one and keep that synched with FTM and Ancestry.

You could delete the old one but make sure that all info is on the newly synched one. I lost all the info that I had in my 'notes' sections on FTM for some strange reason the last time I had to resynch but had kept the old tree on FTM and have been gradually restoring the info onto the new one ... (with accompanying moans and mutterings against synching)

You will need to re-invite all of the invites on the old tree to the new one :-0

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 10:34AM GMT
Thanks - that's what I did in the end

Cheers,
Stuart

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 10:41AM GMT
:-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic